Were you recently injured in a truck accident in St. Petersburg, Florida? You need the aggressive, award-winning Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys on your side after a truck accident. Call us at (727) 933-0015 and get legal help from our St. Petersburg truck accident lawyers.
Our attorneys have more than two decades of experience navigating complex cases. Insurance companies representing big rig companies have a reputation for doing everything they can to get out of paying victims what they deserve. But since 2018, we’ve put millions of dollars in our clients’ pockets. We’re known in the Tampa Bay area for our hard work, dedication to clients, and ability to win tough cases.
Our goal is to get you the maximum possible financial award. Don’t wait another day—contact us online now to schedule your free consultation.
How Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys Can Help After a Truck Accident in St. Petersburg
Trucking companies have lots of resources and will fight your claim with everything they have. Whether it’s shifting the blame to you, denying your claim, or simply refusing to respond to you, they’ll try all kinds of tactics to avoid paying you what you’re owed.
Our personal injury attorneys in St. Petersburg will level the playing field so you don’t get stuck accepting less than you deserve.
Our experienced St. Petersburg, FL legal team will:
- Launch an investigation into the cause of your accident
- Collect evidence to support your claim for damages
- Hire experts, such as accident reconstructionists, engineers, and medical professionals, to support your case
- Protect you against unfair blame, and handle all communications with insurance companies
- Negotiate for a settlement that is fair and covers all of your injuries
- Send a top-rated trial attorney to fight for you in court, if necessary
We have years of experience standing up to the big insurance companies that back truckers. We won’t back down, and we know how to force them to open their wallets when they’re in the wrong. Let us fight for justice for you and your family while you take the time you need to recover.
How Common Are Truck Accidents?
Over 13 million large trucks are registered in the United States. There were 114,000 injury crashes involving large trucks in the U.S. in 2019—that’s over 300 every day. In those crashes, 158,000 people were injured. More than 5,000 people were killed.
Florida is one of the top states in the country when it comes to the number of fatal accidents involving large trucks—only California and Texas rank higher. There were 349 fatalities involving big trucks in Florida in 2019.
What is My Truck Accident Case Worth?
Each case is different, but most cases are worth more than the insurance company’s initial offer.
Some factors that affect the value of your case include:
- The severity of your injuries
- Whether you were partially at fault for the accident
- How long you were out of work because of the accident
- Whether you suffered a permanent disability
- The extent to which your family relies on your income
We have a trusted network of experts to help us support a calculation for damages that includes the maximum possible award for you. We are always confident in our valuation, and we always have the evidence to back it up.
What Kind of Damages Are Available to Accident Victims?
Most truck accident victims are able to seek economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages help make up for your financial losses and compensate you for things like:
- Doctor bills
- Lost wages
- Home medical equipment
- Mental health therapy or counseling
Although direct costs associated with accidents can be extremely high, accidents affect much more of your life than your bank account. That’s where non-economic damages come into play.
Non-economic damages compensate you for diminished quality of life caused by your accident and can include payment for:
- Loss of enjoyment of everyday activities
- Mental and emotional trauma
- Dealing with challenges associated with disability or disfigurement
- Loss of companionship
- Pain and suffering
Punitive damages are rare, but they may be awarded in cases where the defendant’s conduct showed reckless disregard for human life. Unlike compensatory damages, which make the victim financially whole after an accident, the purpose of punitive damages is to punish the defendant for egregious behavior.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed For a Truck Accident in Florida?
It’s likely that you can still receive compensation even if you were at fault. Florida is a “no-fault” state when it comes to automobile accidents. Drivers are required to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance. PIP is available to cover a portion of your medical expenses even if you were responsible for the accident.
If you suffered a serious injury, you may be entitled to more than what’s available through your PIP coverage. If that’s the case, you can pursue a claim or lawsuit against the other party (or parties) involved.
Even if you were partially at fault, the law in Florida doesn’t completely bar you from receiving compensation. Florida’s comparative fault law will merely reduce your compensation to account for your share of blame.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation For All of Your Truck Accident Injuries
Although they can be mild, due to the nature of the crash, truck accident injuries are often quite severe.
We routinely represent clients who have sustained:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal organ damage
- Crushing injuries
- Wrongful death
It’s important to seek medical attention right away after your accident. Many injuries, such as concussions and other head injuries, aren’t visible and must be diagnosed by a medical professional. And, your claim could be compromised if you wait to get medical treatment.
What Causes Most Truck Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Many truck accidents are caused by some of the same things that cause car accidents. The main difference is that truck accidents result in a lot more damage due to the size and weight of the vehicles involved.
Many truck accidents are caused by:
- Improper lane changes
- Drunk driving
- Fatigued driving
- Road rage
- Defective roads
- Obstacles in the road
- Defective equipment, such as brakes or tires
- Following too closely
- Running red lights, or other traffic violations
We conduct a thorough independent investigation to identify all contributing causes. Then we get to work to establish every party’s liability so that you get the money you deserve.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Truck Accident in Florida?
Most truck accident injury cases are based on negligence. In order to win your truck accident case, you’ll have to prove each legal element of negligence.
That means you’ll have to present evidence to prove:
- Duty: the defendant owed you a legal duty of care
- Breach: the defendant’s conduct was a breach of the duty of care
- Causation: the defendant’s action or inaction resulted in your injuries
- Damages: you suffered actual damages as a result of the defendant’s conduct
Proving negligence is rarely easy. There may be multiple parties all pointing the finger at each other. And all of them will be trying to blame you. We’ve handled countless trucking accident cases, and we know how to handle anything that comes our way.
Who is Responsible for Paying My Trucking Accident Damages?
It could be any number of parties, depending on the specific facts of your case.
Potentially liable parties in a truck crash could include:
- Truck driver
- Trucking company
- Owner of the cargo
- Government entity
- Another passenger vehicle driver
- Pedestrian or cyclist
- Manufacturer of faulty equipment
Typically, you’ll receive a payment from the insurance company of the liable party. You’re then responsible for using that to pay your outstanding medical bills or other expenses related to your accident. You could also receive payment from your own car insurance or health insurance company.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Truck Accident in Florida?
In most cases, you’ll have four years to file a lawsuit after a truck accident. That’s the statute of limitations for lawsuits based on negligence. If a loved one was fatally injured in an accident, you’ll have two years to seek compensation in a wrongful death lawsuit.
While that may seem like a long time, it isn’t. All the things that you’re dealing with after a trucking accident will make the time fly by. And, most truck accidents are fairly complex and require extensive investigation before a lawsuit can be filed.
For the best chance at a favorable outcome in your case, contact a St. Petersburg personal injury attorney as soon as you can after your accident. They’ll need time to investigate your case, preserve evidence, and locate witnesses. Delaying just makes all of those tasks more difficult.
Contact Our St. Petersburg Truck Accident Lawyers For a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident in St. Petersburg, don’t hesitate—call Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys today. We offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose.
We have the tenacity, training, and dedication to get the money you need for your injuries. We’ve established a reputation in the Tampa Bay area for winning big, especially in challenging cases. Call now to learn how our St. Petersburg truck accident lawyers can help.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Child Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL