Are you or a family member struggling because a doctor made a mistake in St. Petersburg, FL? You may have a valid medical malpractice case. A St. Petersburg medical malpractice lawyer at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys can help you fight to recover fair compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your personal pain and suffering. Call us at (727) 933-0015 to schedule a free consultation today.
Our lawyers have over 25 years of experience between us. We’ve dedicated our entire practice to fighting for injured clients in cases like St. Petersburg wrongful death, St.petersburg catastrophic injuries, brain injuries, child injuries, and more. Our hard work has paid off, and we’ve already recovered millions of dollars on behalf of our satisfied clients.
How Can Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys Help With a Medical Malpractice Claim in St. Petersburg?
Winning a medical malpractice case in Florida can be extremely difficult. Florida laws tend to favor doctors and hospitals.
They make it difficult for the patient to get justice because they impose complex procedural hurdles. It can be challenging to navigate those hurdles without legal experience and financial resources.
Our experienced St. Petersburg injury lawyers can help you even the score. Our legal team was recognized as the Top 40 under 40 for personal injury law in 2020 and America’s Top Attorneys in 2020.
When you hire Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, you’ll have an advocate to:
- Review your medical records and identify the mistake that caused your injuries
- Gather evidence to support your claim
- Hire the experts and specialists required under Florida law
- Calculate the fair value of your claim
- Negotiate with the medical malpractice insurance companies and defense lawyers
- Handle all paperwork and administrative issues
Our St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers will fight to recover the maximum compensation possible at every turn. We aren’t afraid to take your case to court if the insurance companies and hospitals don’t play fair.
Do you have questions about your legal options? Contact our lawyers in St. Petersburg to learn more about creating an attorney-client relationship today.
How Common is Medical Malpractice in St. Petersburg?
Hundreds of thousands of patients are suffering because of medical negligence in the United States. According to a study by Johns Hopkins University, medical malpractice is the third leading cause of death in the U.S.
Here are some disturbing statistics on medical malpractice in the U.S.:
- Medical mistakes cost about $20 billion per year
- About 400,000 patients are harmed by preventable mistakes every year
- About 100,000 victims of medical errors die each year
Florida is no exception. In fact, Florida ranks third in the nation when it comes to medical malpractice claims. Over 1,500 doctors in Florida have been disciplined for making serious medical mistakes. Most of those doctors continue to practice medicine in the state.
What is My St. Petersburg Medical Malpractice Case Worth?
There’s no clear-cut answer to this question. The value of any medical malpractice claim can vary dramatically from case to case.
Some relevant factors in assessing your case value include:
- The severity of your injuries and the type of harm you’ve suffered
- Whether liability has been clearly established
- The nature of the medical professional’s mistake
- The cost of your medical treatment and expenses
- How the injury or harm has changed your life and quality of life
- Whether you’re expected to make a full recovery or suffer a permanent disability
- Your need for future medical care
- The amount of liability insurance available
- The strength and credibility of your expert witnesses
No lawyer can promise that your case will settle for a specific dollar amount. However, at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, we’ll work tirelessly to translate the harm you’ve suffered into a monetary value.
Our lawyers will work closely with your family and your doctors when assessing your case value. We also have relationships with top-rated experts and specialists whose insight can strengthen your case.
To learn more about how we can help you fight to maximize your compensation award, call our law offices for a free case review today.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Medical Malpractice?
Under Florida medical malpractice laws, victims are entitled to seek compensation for the full range of their financial expenses.
These economic damages might include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced future earning potential
- Nursing care
- Psychological counseling and therapy
Your non-economic damages represent your personal suffering and intangible losses.
These non-financial damages might include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Reduced life expectancy
- Loss of consortium
- Other damages for wrongful death in fatal injury cases
It can be tough to put a dollar value on some of these non-financial losses. It can also be difficult to anticipate the value of your future costs. Our lawyers often consult experts in medicine, economics, and other specialties before we file a claim with insurance. With their help, we can translate these losses into a dollar amount.
What Are Some Long-Term Consequences of Medical Malpractice?
Medical negligence can have severe long-term consequences. Some victims struggle with those consequences for a lifetime.
Some examples include:
- A worsened condition
- Reduced life expectancy
- Need for more invasive and expensive medical care
- New medical conditions and complications
- Chronic pain
- Blood clots
- Wrongful death
Victims of medical negligence also suffer emotionally. They commonly experience severe depression, anxiety, and even PTSD. Those mental health conditions can also impact loved ones and family members.
What Causes Most Medical Malpractice Claims in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Medical mistakes happen for many different reasons. Unfortunately, most medical errors are entirely preventable.
Some of the most common causes of medical negligence are:
- Overworked doctors, nurses, and staff
- Inexperienced health care providers
- Operating on the wrong body part
- Mistaking patients’ identities
- Charting errors and failure to communicate
- Failure to diagnose cancer and other illnesses
- Delayed diagnosis
- Misinterpreting lab results
- Failure to order the proper diagnostic tests
- Failure to take a full patient history
- Physician bias
- Lack of proper post-operative care
- Failure to monitor the patient
- Failure to obtain the patient’s informed consent
- Unsanitary conditions
- Prescribing the wrong medication
- Failing to recognize adverse drug interactions
- Failure to refer a patient to a specialist
Many patients don’t know exactly what happened. They only know that they sought medical care and instead of getting better, they got worse.
Our lawyers will dig deep to determine the cause of your harm. Call or contact our lawyers for a free case evaluation to learn more about your legal options.
We Handle All Types of Medical Malpractice Cases
Our St. Petersburg medical malpractice attorneys handle all types of medical malpractice claims, including:
- Medication errors
- Hospital negligence
- Surgical errors
- Emergency room errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Nursing negligence
- Radiology errors
- Hospital-acquired infections
- Birth injuries
- Defective medical devices and medications
- Bed sores
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Pharmacy errors
Any health care professional can be held liable for medical malpractice. Ultimately, the hospital or medical facility may be liable for paying your damages.
How Do I Prove I Was Harmed Due to Medical Malpractice in Florida?
Medical malpractice is a failure to provide an acceptable level of care. All doctors and healthcare providers owe a duty of care to their patients. They’re required to practice in accordance with certain medical standards.
The medical standard of care is developed by the medical community itself. It varies from case to case based on:
- The type of condition involved
- The patient’s age, history, and general health
- Geographic location
To recover damages, you’ll have to prove that the care you received deviated from that standard of care.
Under Florida law, victims of medical malpractice must submit affidavits from medical experts before their case can proceed. The medical expert must testify about the standard of care and how the care you received departed from that standard.
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit in Florida?
In Florida, the statute of limitations in most medical malpractice cases is two years. The two-year clock starts to run on the date you discovered the injury or the date you reasonably should have discovered the injury.
Regardless of the “discovery rule,” victims can’t file a lawsuit after four years have passed in most cases. The strict four-year rule doesn’t apply if the victim was a minor when the medical mistake happened.
Contact a St. Petersburg Medical Malpractice Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Medical errors can have devastating consequences. If you or a loved one were harmed because of a doctor’s mistake, call Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys for a free consultation today. An experienced St. Petersburg medical malpractice lawyer can make a world of difference in your case.
Visit Our Personal Injury Office in St. Petersburg, FL
We are available 24/7 to take your call; contact us today.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Brain Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Child Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Recreational Vehicle Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL