Did you or a loved one sustain injuries in an accident involving Lyft or another rideshare company in St. Petersburg, FL? You may be entitled to financial compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more. An experienced St. Petersburg Lyft accident lawyer at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys can help you fight to maximize your settlement or verdict.
Our lawyers have dedicated our practice to fighting for accident victims like you. Since we were founded, we’ve recovered millions of dollars to help our injured clients in cases like St. Petersburg taxi accidents, Uber accidents, bus accidents,pedestrian accident and more.
How Can Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys Help After a Lyft Accident in St. Petersburg, FL?
If you were involved in a serious accident, you could be out of work for weeks–if not months. Hospital bills and medical costs can add up quickly. Victims often have trouble making ends meet.
Even if you weren’t seriously injured, it can be tough to get the insurance company to take your case seriously. They’ll try to minimize the extent of your damages. They might even blame you for causing the accident. An experienced St. Petersburg injury attorney can help you fight back.
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, our lawyers have over 25 years of experience helping accident victims like you get justice. Our lawyers were listed among the Top 40 under 40 for personal injury law in 2020 and America’s Top Attorneys in 2020.
Hiring us means you’ll gain a lawyer to:
- Investigate and gather evidence to support your claim
- Consult leading experts and specialists
- Minimize the impact of any allegations that you were responsible for the accident
- Assess your case value
- Negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf
You’re already suffering the consequences of an injury. Let our St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers handle the insurance battle. Just give us a quick call for a free initial consultation to learn more.
How Common Are Lyft Accidents in St. Petersburg?
Companies like Uber and Lyft aren’t required to publish reports about their accident cases. That can make it difficult to know just how common Lyft accidents are. After all, Lyft vehicles look like any other vehicle on the roads.
Some studies suggest that Uber and Lyft have increased the rate of accidents in the U.S. Since Uber and Lyft were introduced, studies show that traffic fatalities have increased by between 2% and 4% each year.
What is My St. Petersburg Lyft Accident Case Worth?
Putting a dollar value on an injury can be complicated. Our lawyers will first look at your economic losses, such as the cost of your medical treatment and other out-of-pocket expenses that you’ve incurred because of the accident.
However, it’s important to examine the whole picture to determine how much your personal injury case is really worth.
Some important factors that will influence your case value include:
- The severity of the injury
- Whether you’re able to work during recovery
- Your lost wages
- Whether your future earnings will be impacted
- Your physical pain and suffering
- The emotional trauma you’ve endured
- How the injury might impact your lifestyle and quality of life
Like any other car accident claim, Lyft accident cases typically involve insurance companies. The victim will first file a claim with insurance to recover compensation for their injuries. The amount of insurance coverage available can impact your case value.
How Can Insurance Impact the Value of My Lyft Accident Case?
Lyft accident cases differ from typical motor vehicle accident claims. Usually, the at-fault driver’s liability insurance policy may provide coverage if the victim’s own PIP insurance is insufficient. However, Lyft drivers use their personal vehicles to make a profit. That means the insurance company might refuse to pay.
You also can’t hold Lyft directly responsible for the acts of Lyft drivers. That’s because Lyft drivers are independent contractors, not traditional employees.
Because of those factors, Florida law requires Lyft to purchase a commercial insurance policy to provide coverage in an accident. The amount of coverage available depends on the driver’s actions.
Lyft App is Turned On, and the Driver is Available to Accept Rides
If the rideshare driver is on duty and available to accept passengers, the following coverage limits apply:
- $50,000 per person in bodily injury coverage
- $100,000 per accident in bodily injury coverage
- $25,000 per accident in property damage coverage
This coverage is third-party liability insurance. In other words, it applies after all other sources of insurance coverage have been exhausted.
Driver Has Accepted a Passenger Request
From the moment the driver accepts a passenger request in the Lyft app, the following coverage is available:
- $1,000,000 in third-party liability coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
- Contingent comprehensive collision up to the cash value of the car (with a $2,500 deductible)
This more generous policy applies until the ride ends in the Lyft app.
Driver is Not Logged Into the Lyft App
If the driver is not logged into the rideshare app, their personal insurance coverage will apply. In other words, the case will be treated like a traditional auto accident claim.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Lyft Accident Victims?
You may be entitled to compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Disability and lost future earning potential
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Damages for wrongful death and loss of consortium
You’ll have to prove the damages you’ve sustained to recover fair compensation. Our St. Petersburg Lyft accident lawyers can help you gather the information you’ll need to submit to the insurance company. Just call our law firm today to schedule a free case review.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Lyft Accident in Florida?
Possibly. Florida follows a modified comparative fault law. Liability is divided between all parties who share blame for an accident. If your share of fault is over 50%, you’ll be prevented from recovering compensation from the other party. However, if your apportioned fault is 50% or less, your award will be reduced proportionately.
So, if you were 30% responsible for the accident, you’re entitled to 70% of your compensation award.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Lyft Accident Injuries
Lyft passengers expect to reach their destination safely. Still, when accidents happen, the injuries can be serious.
Our rideshare accident lawyers at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys often represent clients who have sustained:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Our St. Petersburg car accident attorneys will help you pursue the fair compensation you deserve. You can learn more about our practice and experience by calling to schedule a free case evaluation today.
What Causes Most Lyft Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Some of the most common causes of Lyft accidents in St. Petersburg include:
- Drivers who are distracted by smartphones and GPS
- Drivers who are looking for passengers rather than paying attention to the road
- Stopping in unsafe locations
- Speeding to reach a destination more quickly
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Aggressive driving
- Unsafe passing
- Dangerous turns
- Running a red light
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Poorly maintained Lyft vehicles
Uber and Lyft drivers aren’t subject to any special licensing requirements. They can cause an accident just like anyone else. If you were injured in an accident, you deserve to know what happened.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Lyft Accident in Florida?
Even though the rideshare service’s insurance may cover your costs, you’ll still have to prove that someone else caused the accident to recover damages. In a Lyft accident case, it’s possible that multiple parties could share responsibility–and you’ll have to prove negligence to seek compensation from each of them.
To prove negligence, you must establish:
In short, you’ll have to prove that someone was careless or reckless and that their actions caused your accident and injuries.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Lyft Accident in Florida?
It’s always a good idea to take legal action quickly after an accident. Accident victims in the state of Florida typically have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. Historically, personal injury cases had a four-year deadline, but it was shortened by law on March 24, 2023. If your St. Petersburg Lyft accident occurred after that time, you’ll have two years to file your lawsuit.
Once the two-year statute of limitations runs out, you lose your right to seek compensation from the responsible party.
Contact a St. Petersburg Lyft Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Uber and Lyft accident cases can be complicated by a number of factors. Our lawyers at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys can help you cut through the red tape. All you have to do is call to schedule a free consultation with a St. Petersburg Lyft accident lawyer today.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Aviation Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Lyft Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL