Were you or a loved one injured in a boating accident off the coast of St. Petersburg, Florida? You may be entitled to significant compensation if someone else’s negligence caused the accident. An experienced St. Petersburg boating accident lawyer at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more.
Collectively, we have over 25 years of experience helping accident victims like you. We’ve already recovered millions of dollars in life-changing settlements and verdicts for our injured clients.
Don’t hesitate to reach out for legal advice if you’ve been injured in an accident. Call us at (727) 933-0015 or contact our St. Petersburg law firm to schedule a free consultation today.
How Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys Can Help After a Boating Accident in St. Petersburg
When someone else causes an accident, they should be held responsible if others are injured. Unfortunately, insurance companies and negligent people don’t always step up and take responsibility. You’ll have to fight for the compensation you rightfully deserve.
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, we know the law inside and out. We can help you navigate the complex legal process from day one. That way, you’ll have the time you deserve to focus on your recovery.
Hiring our St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers means you’ll have an entire team on your side to:
- Conduct an investigation into the accident
- Gather evidence to support your personal injury case
- Determine who caused the accident
- Protect you from allegations of shared fault
- Assess your injuries and calculate your case value
- Negotiate with the insurance company to recover the maximum compensation possible
We’ve been listed among the Top 40 under 40 Personal Injury Lawyers and America’s Top Attorneys. Most importantly, we’ve helped countless clients recover the money they need to secure quality medical treatment and move on with their lives.
You deserve to understand your legal options. Call our St. Petersburg boating accident attorneys today to learn more about the benefits of creating an attorney-client relationship.
How Common Are Boating Accidents in St. Petersburg?
Nearly one million boats are registered in the state of Florida. With more than 8,400 miles of shoreline, inland lakes, and waterways, it’s no surprise that boating accidents are relatively common in Florida.
In fact, Florida leads the country when it comes to boating accidents. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) reported 804 statewide recreational boating accidents in 2021. That’s over 300 more boating accidents than California, which has the second-highest number of boating accidents.
Pinellas County ranked number five on the list of counties with the most boating accidents. In 2021, 64 boating accidents were reported in Pinellas County. According to the FWC report, three of those accidents were fatal and 15 caused injuries.
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, we handle all types of boating accident claims, including those involving:
- Personal watercraft
- Open motorboats
- Pontoon boats
- Jet skis
- Kayaks and canoes
- Cabin motorboats
- Fishing boats
- Cruise ships
- And more
It’s never too early to get legal advice if you were injured in an accident – and our team is always here to help. Call our St. Petersburg personal injury law firm to schedule your free case review today.
What is My St. Petersburg Boating Accident Case Worth?
Before accepting any settlement, it’s important to sit down with a lawyer and learn more about how much your personal injury claim is worth. Insurance companies and at-fault parties often try to downplay the damage you’ve suffered. Our lawyers can evaluate your case and calculate how much you really deserve.
While every case is different, the factors that will be important in proving the value of your case include:
- The severity of your injuries
- Whether you’ll recover fully or suffer a permanent impairment
- Your lost wages during recovery
- Whether you can return to work in the same capacity
- The nature of the at-fault party’s actions and the strength of your negligence case
Every dollar counts when you’re recovering from a serious injury. You can count on us to fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Boating Accident Victims?
Florida personal injury laws allow injured parties to seek compensation for economic damages and non-economic damages. In other words, you can recover damages for your financial costs and your personal, non-financial suffering.
Examples of the types of damages available include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Lost future earning potential
- Rehabilitation, therapies, and specialized care
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
If the accident was fatal, we can also help you fight to recover compensation for wrongful death. When an accident happens because of gross negligence or intentional wrongdoing, punitive damages may be available to punish the defendant.
Can I Recover Damages if I’m Being Blamed for a Boating Accident in Florida?
When you’re injured in a Florida boating accident, it’s always possible that someone might try to blame you for causing the accident. If the insurance company can prove that you were even partly responsible, they can reduce your settlement in proportion to your share of fault — or deny your claim altogether.
Under the modified comparative fault laws in Florida, you won’t lose your right to compensation unless the accident was over 50% your fault. If your share of fault exceeds 50%, you cannot recover damages from another party. If you’re 50% or less to blame, your damages will be reduced to reflect your portion of responsibility.
While you shouldn’t panic, it’s a good idea to speak with an experienced lawyer if you’re being blamed for an accident. Our team at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys can help you minimize any allegations of shared responsibility so that you can take home the fair compensation you deserve.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Boating Accident Injuries
Boating accidents can cause dramatic and lasting injuries. Once you return to shore, you might face weeks or even months of recovery.
Our lawyers can help you get the money you need to cover the cost of your medical care for injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Concussions and other head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Brain damage caused by near-drowning
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
It’s never easy to get hurt. Recovering fair compensation can go a long way toward helping you recover. Our lawyers in St. Petersburg are here to help in any way we can. Call today to learn more.
What Causes Most Boating Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Many different factors can contribute to the cause of a boating accident. Most of the time, these accidents occur because someone was careless or reckless.
Some of the most common causes of boating accidents in St. Petersburg include:
- Failure to keep a proper lookout
- Operator inattention
- Hull failures
- Excessive speeds
- Inexperienced boat operators
- Boating under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Careless or reckless behaviors
- Violation of navigational rules
- Hazardous waters caused by poor weather conditions and dangerous wake
- Mechanical failures
- Sharp turns
- Lack of proper lighting on the vessel
- Fuel ignition
- Other fires and explosions
- Improper anchoring
- Failure to use proper safety equipment
- Overloading the vessel
- Defective boats, boat parts, or safety equipment
- Violation of maritime laws
Our lawyers have over two decades of experience handling complex injury claims in St. Petersburg.
We can help if you were hurt in a boating accident involving:
- Collision with another vessel
- Collision with a fixed object
- Slip and fall accidents on the vessel
- Falling overboard
- Flooding and swamping
- Running aground
- Fires and explosions
- Wake damage
Do you need help determining the cause of your accident? You can count on our St. Petersburg boating accident attorneys to get to the bottom of it. Just give us a call to schedule a free case evaluation to get started.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Boating Accident in Florida?
Most boating accident claims involve negligence like any typical car accident case.
In other words, to recover damages, you’ll have to prove that the accident happened because:
- The responsible party owed you a duty of care
- A breach of duty caused the accident
- You sustained injuries, or damages, in the accident
Our lawyers can help you recover important evidence to prove your case. That evidence might include accident reports, eyewitness statements, or even physical evidence from the boat itself.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Boating Accident in Florida?
Under Florida law, the statute of limitations is only two years from the date of your accident. Historically, Florida law gave you four years to file a personal injury lawsuit, but the deadline was shortened by law on March 24, 2023. Thus, if your St. Petersburg boat accident happened after that date, you will need to take action within two years.
There may be exceptions to these filing deadlines, so it’s best to consult an experienced St. Petersburg personal injury attorney to preserve your legal rights. If you don’t file a personal injury lawsuit before the deadline passes, you’ll lose your right to compensation.
Contact a St. Petersburg Boating Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
The actions you take after a boating accident can be critical to your financial recovery. If you were injured, call Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys to schedule a free initial consultation with a St. Petersburg boating accident lawyer who can protect your legal rights.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Child Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL