Were you or a loved one injured on the job in St. Petersburg, FL? An experienced St. Petersburg workplace accident lawyer can evaluate your options for recovering compensation. Our team at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys may be able to help you file a claim and seek damages under Florida workers’ compensation laws.
Our lawyers have over 25 years of combined experience handling complex personal injury cases. We’ve recovered millions of dollars since we first started fighting for clients like you.
How Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys Can Help After a Workplace Accident in St. Petersburg
You may not know where to turn for help if you were injured on the job. While it may seem like recovering compensation should be simple, that’s not always the case. Your employer could challenge your claim – and the insurance company might go to great lengths to pay less than you deserve.
An experienced St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys can help you fight for the full compensation available.
Our lawyers have decades of combined experience helping injured workers. We’ve been recognized as “Top 40 under 40” personal injury lawyers and America’s Top Attorneys.
Hiring our legal team means gaining an advocate to:
- Investigate the circumstances of the accident
- Determine who was responsible and whether you’re eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit
- Help you with your initial workers’ compensation claim
- Fight for you if your claim is denied or undervalued
- Assess your case value and document your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf
It’s never too early to speak with a seasoned St. Petersburg personal injury attorney about your legal rights. Just call our law offices to schedule your free initial consultation today.
How Common Are Workplace Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL?
Private employers reported about 2.7 million work-related injuries and illnesses to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) in 2020. Approximately 4,764 American workers died in fatal work accidents that year. Unfortunately, 275 of those fatal work accidents happened in Florida.
Two major categories accounted for the vast majority of all Florida work fatalities in 2020: transportation accidents and slips, trips, and falls. The private construction industry reported the highest workplace fatality rates across the state.
What is My St. Petersburg Workplace Accident Case Worth?
No two personal injury cases are exactly the same. The severity of your injuries plays the largest role in determining how much your personal injury claim is worth.
The following factors are important when assessing the dollar value of your claim:
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The duration of your recovery
- Whether you can work in some capacity
- Your wages prior to the accident
- The identity of the responsible party
- The strength of your negligence case
Workers’ compensation benefits cover about ⅔ of your average weekly wages prior to the accident. However, those benefits are subject to a statewide cap. In 2022, the maximum weekly check you can receive from workers’ comp is $1,099.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Workplace Accident Victims?
The types of damages available depend on how you go about recovering compensation. Workers’ compensation covers nearly all injured workers in the state of Florida. However, you can’t sue your employer for additional benefits. You’re only eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit if a third party was responsible for your accident.
For example, you may be entitled to additional damages if one of the following parties was to blame for your accident:
- A negligent driver in a car accident
- The manufacturer of defective work equipment
- A third-party vendor or supplier
- Negligent property owners
- General contractors
Our workers’ compensation lawyers will carefully review your case to determine the best course of action for recovering damages in your case.
Florida Workers’ Compensation Benefits
Florida workers’ compensation provides benefits for:
- Reasonable and necessary medical expenses
- Wage replacement benefits for temporary total disability, temporary partial disability, impairment, or permanent disability
- Death benefits for survivors of fatal work accidents
In other words, workers’ compensation will cover most of your economic damages. Non-economic damages, like pain and suffering damages, are only available if you’re eligible to file a third-party claim.
What Types of Damages Are Available in Personal Injury Cases?
Filing a personal injury lawsuit can increase the value of your accident case. Under Florida personal injury laws, you can seek compensation for both your economic losses and your non-financial, non-economic losses.
You may be entitled to compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Total lost wages
- Lost employment benefits
- Reduced earning potential
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
Getting the full compensation you deserve can be the key to making a full recovery. If you were injured, you can count on our St. Petersburg workplace accident attorneys to fight for every dollar you deserve. To learn more, just call for a free case review today.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Workplace Accident in Florida?
Workers’ compensation benefits are available even if you were responsible for your injuries. With limited exceptions, workers’ comp is a no-fault system.
The value of your personal injury settlement or verdict can be reduced if you share some fault for your accident. Under Florida’s pure comparative fault laws, your compensation can be reduced in proportion to your percentage of fault.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Workplace Accident Injuries
Workplace injuries can vary widely, depending on the type of accident and the industry.
Some common types of work accident injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Back injuries
- Eye injuries
- Nerve injuries
- Respiratory illnesses
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Hearing damage
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Some of these injuries can leave you struggling with pain and ongoing medical issues for months or even years. While it’s important to seek medical care quickly, it’s also important to reach out to an experienced lawyer for the legal advice you deserve.
What Causes Most Workplace Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Work accidents can happen for many different reasons.
Common OSHA citations provide details about some of the most common causes of workplace accidents, which include:
- Lack of fall protection
- Failure to communicate about hazards
- Scaffolding accidents, which can be caused by improperly installed scaffolds or a lack of safety equipment
- Inadequate worker training
- Failure to provide required inspections
- Lack of proper machine guarding
- Faulty electrical wiring
- Lack of proper respiratory protection
- Defective or dangerous ladders
- Violations involving powered industrial trucks
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, we handle all types of workplace accident claims, including those involving:
- Scaffolding falls
- Falls from roofs and ladders
- Electrocution and electric shock
- Accidents where workers are caught between objects
- Accidents involving falling objects
- Exposure to toxic substances
- Building collapse
- Welding accidents
- Accidents involving defective work equipment
- Crane, forklift, and other heavy machinery accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Truck accidents and other motor vehicle accidents
- Fires and explosions
- Workplace violence
Whether you were injured in a construction accident or a downtown office, our lawyers are here to help. Call our law firm in St. Petersburg to schedule a free consultation to learn more about our practice areas.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Workplace Accident in Florida?
To recover damages in a personal injury lawsuit, you’ll probably have to prove negligence.
A successful negligence case requires proof that:
- Someone owed you a legal duty of care
- The at-fault party breached the duty of care
- The breach of duty caused your accident
- You suffered damages or injuries
Keep in mind that you don’t have to prove negligence to file a workers’ comp claim for benefits. Those benefits are available regardless of who caused your accident.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Workplace Accident in Florida?
It’s important to take action quickly after a work accident. To preserve your right to workers’ comp, you should notify your employer about the accident within 30 days.
You’ll have additional time to file a personal injury lawsuit. In Florida, the statute of limitations in most personal injury cases is four years.
If you wait too long, you’ll lose your right to sue for damages.
Contact a St. Petersburg Workplace Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Do you have questions about your legal options after a work accident? If you were injured on the job, call Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys today. An experienced St. Petersburg workplace accident lawyer can evaluate your case for free and help you determine the best way to recover the fair compensation you deserve.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Child Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL