Did your child recently get hurt in an accident in St. Petersburg, FL? Reach out to Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys to discuss your legal rights and options. Contact our St. Petersburg, Florida law office to arrange a free consultation, call us at (727) 933-0015.
Your family may be entitled to compensation to account for your child’s medical expenses, disability, and suffering. Our St. Petersburg child injury lawyers can help you fight for maximum financial recovery.
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, we put 25+ years of combined experience behind every client and case. We’ve won millions for accident victims injured in St. Petersburg car accidents, St. Petersburg motorcycle accidents, slip and fall cases, truck accidents, wrongful death matters, and more.
Let us help you fight to make things right after your child is injured.
How Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys Can Help If Your Child is Injured in St. Petersburg, FL
How did your child get hurt? Who is responsible for their care? Who caused the accident? What happens if someone tries to blame your child for getting hurt?
These are questions you’ll have to answer if you decide to file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit to recover damages for your child’s injuries and suffering. Insurance companies and those responsible for your child’s trauma will not make things easy for you. To win, you will have to be prepared and put up a fight.
This is where a St. Petersburg personal injury attorney can help. We have decades of experience going up against the toughest adversaries, including insurance companies, hospitals, government agencies, and more.
When we handle your case, it will give you the opportunity you need to make sure your child can recover and move forward with their life.
While you are focused on that, our team will:
- Provide compassionate guidance and support throughout the entire personal injury claim process
- Oversee a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding your child’s accident and injury
- Gather evidence, including photographs, video footage, medical records, maintenance records, witness statements, physical evidence from the scene, and more
- Work closely with respected experts, including medical professionals, vocational specialists, psychologists, and more
- Defend against claims that your child’s accident was unavoidable or a result of your child’s negligence
- Negotiate with liable parties and their insurers to get you top dollar in a settlement deal
- Have our accomplished litigators bring your case to trial if an insurance company tries to lowball you or refuses to negotiate fairly
Child Injury Statistics
According to the CDC, a child is treated in an emergency room or hospital for an injury every four seconds.
It’s estimated that one child dies from a fatal accident or injury every hour. It’s believed that more than 7,000 kids died from unintentional and avoidable injuries in 2019.
Statistics reveal that boys are more likely to suffer fatal injuries than girls.
Babies under the age of one and teens between the ages of 15 and 19 are most susceptible to fatal injuries. This could be because these kids are of driving age and more likely to be in auto accidents.
What Are the Leading Causes of Childhood Accidents and Injuries?
Children can get hurt anywhere, doing anything. However, certain types of activities tend to cause avoidable childhood trauma more often than others.
Common causes of childhood accidents and injuries include:
- Car accidents and other types of motor vehicle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Swimming pool accidents
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
- Playground accidents
- Negligent supervision
- Sport injuries
- Scooter and skateboard accidents
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Defective toys
- Boating accidents
- Assault and sexual abuse
- Fireworks and explosives
- Birth injury
- Medical negligence
If you suspect that your child’s injury could’ve been avoided and is the result of another person’s negligence, do not hesitate to contact Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys. Our St. Petersburg child accident attorneys will work diligently to identify your legal rights and help you put a plan into action to get the compensation you deserve.
We Represent All Injured Children in St. Petersburg, Florida
While they may be resilient, children are still vulnerable to severe and catastrophic injuries.
Contact us for assistance if your child has been in an accident and suffered:
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Soft tissue damage
- Neck or back injury
- Vision or hearing loss
- Spinal cord injury
- Crushing injury
- Nerve damage
- Wrongful death
Ensure that your child gets medical treatment as soon as possible after they get hurt. Getting to the emergency room or hospital can help limit the extent of the injury and reduce the risk of complications. If you decide to pursue compensation, the medical record that is generated will also be incredibly helpful. It will help tie your child’s accident to their injuries, creating a causal link that can help you win your case.
What’s My St. Petersburg Child Injury Case Worth?
Injuries during childhood can fundamentally change the course of a person’s life forever. It can leave a child disfigured, alter their growth patterns, limit mobility and functionality, and leave them in great distress.
All of these things will be considered when valuing your child’s personal injury case.
So will factors like:
- Your child’s age at the time they get hurt
- Whether their accident aggravated any pre-existing medical conditions
- How their injuries will affect their ability to work and earn a living, if at all
- How the trauma of being injured/in an accident will affect your child psychologically and emotionally
- The long-term ramifications of their injuries
Future damages will likely play a large part in determining how much money you can get after your child is hurt in St. Petersburg. It’s essential to work closely with an attorney with access to experts to help them calculate these types of damages.
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, we’ve worked hard to establish relationships with some of the most respected vocational and financial experts in the state of Florida. We will rely on them and other specialists throughout the valuation process. Our dedication and detailed approach will help us work to get maximum compensation for your child’s injuries.
Who’s Liable For My Child’s Injuries After an Accident in St. Petersburg?
Kids don’t always appreciate the consequences of their actions. This is particularly true for young children.
Sometimes, it’s up to adults to ensure that children are in a safe environment and not subjected to unreasonably unsafe conditions or hazards. It’s also up to adults to provide the necessary supervision and exercise reasonable care.
So, in Florida, anyone whose negligence or wrongful conduct contributes to a child’s injuries can be financially liable for the consequences.
Depending on the specifics of your case, this could include:
- Drivers or occupants of motor vehicles
- Hospitals, doctors, and medical professionals
- Government agencies
- Property owners
- Dog owners
Our experienced child injury attorneys in St. Petersburg will carefully review the circumstances of your child’s accident. We will work diligently to identify anyone who may have directly or indirectly caused your child harm. Once we’ve established fault, we will fight aggressively to pursue maximum compensation from all liable parties.
What’s an Attractive Nuisance?
Adults don’t always have a responsibility to go out of their way to keep children safe. There is one major exception, however. Florida has an attractive nuisance doctrine, which provides that property owners can be liable for a child’s injuries if they trespass on their property and get hurt because of a hazard.
An attractive nuisance is something that really draws a child’s attention and entices them to enter the premises, whether or not they have permission to do so.
This typically includes things like swimming pools, heavy machinery, appliances, power tools, and other dangerous things.
Property owners in St. Petersburg, Florida are required to take certain preventative measures to keep children away from attractive nuisances.
This can be as simple as putting up a gate with a lock or securing dangerous objects in a location where children cannot reach them. Failure to take reasonable steps to protect kids from a hazard like a swimming pool can result in liability if a child gets hurt.
What Damages Can Be Sought in a Child Personal Injury Case?
This can include money for:
- Medical bills
- Reduced earning capacity
- Reduced quality of life
- Nursing care
- Depression and anxiety
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
Punitive damages may also be available if your child was the victim of an intentionally harmful act or gross negligence.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Childhood Injury in Florida?
You will have just two years to file a lawsuit after your child gets hurt in an accident in St. Petersburg, Florida.
If your child was hurt prior to March 24, 2023, you may have more time to act. The state’s statute of limitations for negligence cases was historically four years, but it was shortened. People injured after 3/24/23 will be subject to the two-year deadline.
The statute of limitations is two years from the date of death if your child is killed in a fatal accident in Florida.
In some cases involving children, the statute of limitations may be tolled. Once the statute of limitations expires, so does your right to seek damages from those responsible for your child’s injuries and suffering. Therefore, it’s best to consult an attorney to preserve your child’s legal rights to compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced St. Petersburg Child Injury Lawyer
Don’t hesitate to contact Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys if your child has suffered an injury in St. Petersburg, FL. Our St. Petersburg child injury lawyers are ready to help you fight for the financial compensation your family needs and deserves.
We offer a free case evaluation, and there’s no risk. Our team is available to take your call right now.
Visit Our Personal Injury Office in St. Petersburg, FL
We are available 24/7 to take your call; contact us today.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bus Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL