Have you sustained a brain injury because you were recently involved in an accident in St. Petersburg, FL? You may have the right to seek compensation. The St. Petersburg brain injury lawyers at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys are here to help you fight for a maximum financial award. Call us at (727) 933-0015 to schedule a free consultation.
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, we are award-winning litigators with over 25 years of combined experience. Our attorneys in St. Petersburg have helped clients throughout the Tampa Bay area recover millions of dollars in life-changing settlements and jury awards.
Whether you suffered a brain injury in a St. Petersburg car accident, St. Petersburg motorcycle accident, St. Petersburg truck accident, bicycle accident, pedestrian accident, boating accident, or any other accident, we can help. A brain injury can fundamentally change your life forever. Let us help you fight for the accountability you deserve.
How Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys Can Help If You’ve Suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury in St. Petersburg, FL
Who is responsible for the accident that caused your traumatic brain injury (TBI)? What caused that accident to happen? What can you do if someone tries to point fingers and blame you for getting hurt? What steps do you actually need to take to get money in your hands?
Don’t try to find the answers on your own. You need time to rest, recover, and focus on healing from your catastrophic injury. Fortunately, our personal injury lawyers in St. Petersburg are ready to stand beside you and take on your fight for compensation.
While you are focused on getting better, we will provide the personalized and detailed legal representation you deserve.
Our St. Petersburg brain injury attorneys will handle every aspect of your case and keep you updated every step of the way as we:
- Coordinate a thorough investigation into the accident that caused your TBI
- Gather evidence to prove that your brain injury is, in fact, a consequence of this accident
- Bring in respected medical professionals, vocational rehabilitation experts, psychologists, and other experts to provide guidance and insight as we build and value your claim for damages
- Minimize efforts to blame you for your TBI, which could hurt your chances of a full financial recovery
- Negotiate with at-fault parties and their insurance companies to get you the best possible terms in a settlement
- Reject lowball offers and take defendants to trial if negotiations aren’t successful
You’re not just another client when you choose Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys. We will fight for you like family. Give us a call to arrange a time to discuss your brain injury case at no cost to you. Our team is standing by to take your call right now.
What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A traumatic brain injury is a broad term that refers to an injury that disrupts your brain’s normal function. Typically caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head, your brain’s ability to function properly becomes impaired.
The consequences can be minor and only cause limited short-term damage or have long-lasting effects that change the course of your life forever.
A brain injury is categorized based on its severity and the amount of time you lose consciousness (if at all).
- Mild traumatic brain injury: Loss of consciousness/impaired cognitive state for less than 30 minutes
- Moderate traumatic brain injury: Loss of consciousness/impaired cognitive state for less than 24 hours
- Severe traumatic brain injury: Loss of consciousness/impaired cognitive state for more than 24 hours
A mild TBI like a concussion might result in a little bit of disorientation, confusion, and nausea. On the other hand, a severe TBI may cause significant disruptions to logic and reasoning, motor function, and sleep.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
There are dozens of different types of brain injuries that fall under the umbrella of TBI.
Some of the most common types of brain injuries include:
- Hypoxic/anoxic brain injury
- Diffuse axonal injury
- Skull fracture
The type of brain injury you may sustain can depend on whether you suffer a closed head injury or a penetrating head injury. This basically comes down to whether or not the skull surrounding the organ is compromised.
The skull’s primary function is to protect the brain. However, the brain can become damaged even when the skull remains intact. The force of trauma can cause the brain to move rapidly within the skull and make contact with the hard bone, causing damage to the organ in the process.
The brain can also become damaged when the skull fractures or is penetrated by an object, such as a bullet, piece of debris, or shrapnel. External objects and debris can make contact with the soft tissue of the organ, causing it to tear, rip, and become damaged.
Brain Injury Statistics
According to the CDC, 176 people died from traumatic brain injury-related deaths every day in 2020. That’s more than 64,000 people over the course of the year.
It’s estimated that more than 5.3 million Americans are living with an impairment or disability directly resulting from a traumatic brain injury.
If you suffer a head injury or believe that you may have been exposed to harmful substances or toxins, it is imperative that you seek medical attention immediately.
Brain injuries, left untreated, can worsen and result in life-threatening complications. Even if you survive your brain injury, the financial, physical, and emotional costs of your trauma can be extraordinary.
We Handle All Brain Injury Accident Cases in St. Petersburg, FL
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, we represent clients who have sustained traumatic brain injuries as a result of:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Construction accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse
- Defective products, and more.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to our law office in St. Petersburg to arrange a time to discuss your brain injury case. We always stand by to take your call, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
What’s My Brain Injury Case Worth?
The value of a brain injury case will vary significantly from one case to another.
However, several factors will come into play when it comes to valuation, such as:
- How severe is your brain injury?
- What types of long-term consequences and side effects will you experience?
- How will your brain injury change the way you live your life or limit your functionality?
- Do you share responsibility for your TBI?
- How old were you when you sustained your brain injury?
- Will your ability to work and earn an income change because of your brain injury?
The more significant the brain injury’s impact on your life, the more your personal injury claim for damages will typically be worth. Keep in mind that every situation is unique, and the only way to know how much money you can get is by speaking directly with an experienced personal injury attorney in St. Petersburg.
What Damages Are Available to Brain Injury Victims in St. Petersburg?
Our attorneys will work hard to get you money for:
- Past, present, and future medical bills
- Lost wages and income
- Disability and impairment
- Reduced quality of life
- Nursing care
- Medical devices or equipment
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Can I Still Recover Damages If I’m Blamed For My Brain Injury?
Under Florida’s modified comparative fault rule, if your share of the blame is 50% or less, your damages will be reduced proportionately based on your own negligence. However, if your fault exceeds 50%, you’re prevented from receiving compensation from the other party.
For instance, if you are assigned 30% of the blame for an auto accident that caused your TBI, your financial award will be reduced by 30%. If you’re assigned 51% or more of the responsibility, you cannot receive monetary damages.
What’s the Time Limit For Filing a Brain Injury Lawsuit in Florida?
You will likely have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit after the accident that caused your TBI in St. Petersburg, FL.
If your TBI occurred before March 24, 2023, you may have four years from the accident date to take action. Florida’s statute of limitations was four years until they revised the law in 2023. However, if your accident happened after 3/24/23, you’re subject to the two-year restraint.
Family members will have two years from the date of death to seek justice through a wrongful death action if a brain injury is fatal.
Don’t let too much time go by before you take action. You will lose the right to recover compensation if the statute of limitations expires before you file your personal injury case.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced St. Petersburg Brain Injury Lawyer
Have you or a family member sustained a traumatic brain injury in an accident in St. Petersburg, Florida? Don’t let those responsible walk away without paying you the compensation you deserve. Contact Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys for immediate legal assistance.
Our St. Petersburg brain injury lawyers are ready to put 25+ years of combined experience to work to get you the best results. Our law office, conveniently located in St. Petersburg, is standing by to take your call or connect with you online today.
Visit Our Personal Injury Office in St. Petersburg, FL
We are available 24/7 to take your call; contact us today.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bus Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Taxi Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL