St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer
You may be entitled to a substantial monetary award if you or a family member has been involved in a car accident in St. Petersburg, Florida. At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, we put over 25 years of collective experience behind the cases we cover. Our St. Petersburg car accident lawyers will fight to maximize your compensation, contact our St. Petersburg, FL law office at (727) 933-0015.
We’re nationally recognized and acclaimed for our ability to get top results for our clients. We handle all accident cases including St. Petersburg motorcycle accidents, St. Petersburg truck accident injuries, wrongful death, and more. Since our founding in 2018, our firm has won millions in life-changing settlements and verdicts in the Tampa Bay area.
How Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys Can Help After a Car Accident in St. Petersburg, FL
What caused your car accident? Who’s responsible? What steps do you need to take to retrieve compensation, especially if your expenses exceed your PIP insurance limit?
These are all critical questions to ask after a car accident. Insurance companies want you to try to respond to them on your own – without the help of a lawyer. But we know for a fact that’s a mistake.
Hiring legal help isn’t just associated with higher success rates; a St. Petersburg personal injury attorney will also set you up to win more money for your car accident injuries.
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, our team members have been recognized as Top 40 under 40 Personal Injury Lawyers and America’s Top Attorneys. We have successfully negotiated and litigated millions in economic awards for clients just like you.
Let us stand up to at-fault drivers and insurance companies on your name while you concentrate on getting better, and we’ll:
- Handle every aspect of your claim from start to finish
- Investigate the details to determine why the crash happened, how it could have been avoided, and who’s liable
- Consult with leading car accident experts, medical specialists and more
- Fend off claims that you share responsibility for the wreck
- Manage negotiations with your insurance carrier and other parties
- Be prepared to take your case to a jury in Pinellas County if you are not offered a fair settlement
Give our compassionate team a call to learn more. Your first case evaluation is free, and we work on contingency, so there’s no cost unless we win.
Why Should I Hire a St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer?
Here are just a few reasons to get a car accident lawyer:
- They’ll simplify the legal process and help you understand your options.
- They’ll discuss your injuries and emotional trauma to accurately value the full extent of your losses.
- They manage claims daily and know how to negotiate with insurance adjusters and others to get fair compensation.
- If your case has complex issues, they’ll have access to leading experts, including medical professionals, accident reconstructionists, and others.
- They’ll protect you against insurance tactics that help to undervalue or deny your claim.
- They’ll coordinate all communications on your behalf so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
Whatever you look for in an attorney, you should get a complimentary consultation with a few to determine which one best meets your needs.
St. Petersburg, FL Car Accident Statistics (2023 Update)
That represented 4 percent of all traffic accidents across Florida last year. In the summer months, the Tampa area becomes more jam-packed, so the rate of car collisions is sure to rise.
In Pinellas County, there were a total of 112 fatal crashes resulting in 120 deaths. Another 6,320 collisions left 9,132 people injured.
Until 01/07/23, there have already been nearly 56 car accidents resulting in 37 injuries.
What Are the Most Dangerous Roads and Intersections in St. Petersburg, FL?
Accidents can happen anywhere and at any time. However, certain areas tend to have increased occurrences of accidents.
Some of the most dangerous roads and intersections in St. Petersburg, FL include:
- 38th Avenue N
- Central Avenue
- Ulmerton Road
- US-92 and 4th Street
- US-19 and 38th Avenue N
- 34th Street N and 5th Avenue N
- US-19 and 1st Avenue N
- US-92 and 38th Avenue N
- 34th Street and 22nd Avenue N
- 28th Street N and 1st Avenue N
No matter where your crash occurred, we can help you negotiate with the insurance adjusters and receive the recompense that is due.
What Causes Most Motor Vehicle Crashes in St. Pete?
Most car accidents in St. Petersburg happen because someone is negligent. Negligence means that someone fails to use a reasonable level of care and, as a result, creates a situation that puts others in harm’s way.
Some of the most common examples of causes of car wrecks in our city include:
- High speeds
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Failure to maintain lane
- Unsafe passing
- Unsafe turns, especially at intersections
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Pilot fatigue
- Tailgating or following too closely
- Road rage
- Running yellow or red lights
- Inclement weather
- Restricted visibility
- Road defects
- Car malfunction or defects
Often, one or more of these things contributes to or causes a wreck. It is important to identify all causes of your crash. Taking the time to do this can help to make sure that you are able to get all of the restitution you need and deserve. It can also help if someone else tries to accuse you of the wreck.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
There are many reasons to file a car accident claim. Most people already know they can do it to recover compensation for medical bills, but some other benefits include:
- Holding the responsible party accountable for their negligent actions
- Obtaining a financial recovery for other losses, including pain and suffering and future healthcare needs
- Demonstrating the risks of negligent driving and the ways it can impact a person’s life
- Deterring others from engaging in careless or reckless conduct in the future to prevent similar outcomes
- Ensuring that auto insurance companies adhere to their policy terms and agreements
- Achieving new traffic guidelines and protections
Additionally, if the at-fault driver’s conduct was intentional or constituted an indifference to your safety and integrity, punitive damages may be awarded.
These punish defendants, encourage them to modify their behaviors, and deter others from engaging in similar conduct.
We Handle All Types of Car Accident Cases in St. Petersburg, Florida
We have experience handling all kinds of car accident claims. We’ve assisted accident clients who have had injuries in:
- Head-on collisions in St. Petersburg
- Distracted driving accidents in St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg Rear-end Crashes Lawyer
- Left-turn accidents
- St. Petersburg Rollover accidents
- Parking lot accidents
- St. Petersburg Multi-vehicle Accidents Lawyer
- St. Petersburg Highway Crashes Lawyer
- St. Petersburg Speeding Accidents Lawyer
- Lane change accidents
- St. Petersburg DUI Accidents Lawyer
- Intersection accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Trucking accidents
- And more
Call us today to discuss your wreck and the compensation you can obtain.
What Types of Injuries Are Caused By Florida Car Accidents?
Car impacts can cause minor injuries or debilitating life-altering injuries.
Our car accident lawyers have helped clients who suffered all sorts of injuries in collisions, such as:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Chest injuries
- Airbag injuries
- Nerve damage
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
The smartest thing to do after an accident is to get medical attention.
Regardless of the type of injury you have or the severity, Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys will be here afterward to help you get the compensation you deserve to get back on your feet.
What Should I Do After an Auto Accident in Pinellas County?
Here are some steps to take following a car accident in St. Petersburg:
- Remain at the accident scene – otherwise, you could be charged with a hit-and-run
- Call 911 to report the accident – if the police are dispatched, they’ll complete an accident report, which can be useful if you file a claim or lawsuit
- If possible, collect evidence at the accident scene – take pictures and videos of the automobiles, skid marks, property damage, injuries, and any other relevant things
- Exchange information with other drivers (if the cops aren’t dispatched) and eyewitnesses
- Seek medical treatment – if you aren’t transported to the hospital from the scene, visit a healthcare facility to confirm that you don’t have any latent injuries
- Contact an attorney – try not to speak directly with any insurance adjusters; instead, tell them to address all communications to your legal counselor
Additionally, right after the accident, write down what occurred. You may forget important details over time that are helpful for a car accident claim.
Taking these steps after an accident can significantly improve your chances of getting fair compensation after a wreck.
Can I Recover Compensation if I Share Fault for a Car Crash?
Maybe. Under Florida’s modified comparative fault rules, liability is divided up and shared by everyone who contributes to a crash. Sharing 50% or less fault for an accident won’t prevent you from retrieving compensation. However, it will impact the amount you can get for your case if you win. And sharing over 50% of the responsibility will prevent you from recovering a monetary award.
For example, if you’re assigned 20 percent fault, your settlement will be diminished by 20 percent. If you’re assigned 51% or more fault, you’ll be ineligible to recover a settlement or award from another party.
So, insurance companies and liable parties will be quick to say that you are at least partly to blame. If they’re successful, they’ll limit how much they have to pay you for your injuries and suffering — or eliminate their financial responsibility altogether.
Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys anticipate these sorts of strategies. In our investigation process, we’ll gather evidence to demonstrate how others’ actions caused you to get hurt. If your own negligence was a contributing factor, we’ll do our best to find a way to minimize how much liability you are assigned. The less responsibility you share, the more money you can potentially get when your case is resolved.
What’s My Car Accident Case Worth?
The value depends on your injuries and the long-term impacts of the crash. Typically, the more serious a crash, the more a case is worth.
According to the National Safety Council, the average value of these cases ranged anywhere between $160,000 (possible injury) and $1.2 million (disabling injury) in 2020.
For cases involving a fatal car accident, the average value exceeded $11,449,000.
It’s crucial to speak with a qualified car accident attorney after a crash. Specific factors unique to your case will drive valuation. Having our experienced injury lawyers in St. Petersburg working closely with you and leading the way will help to ensure that your monetary reward accurately reflects its true value.
What Damages Are Available to Crash Victims in St. Petersburg, FL?
Our auto accident lawyers will aggressively pursue financial reimbursement for all of your damages, such as:
- Medical expenses, like hospitalization and rehabilitation
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost income and benefits
- Decreased earning capacity
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Chronic physical pain
- Nursing and medical care
- Mental anguish
- PTSD or vehophobia
- Depression and anxiety
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of consortium
In limited instances, punitive damages may also be available. This applies in situations where a defendant’s conduct is intentional or displays a reckless disregard for a victim’s rights and safety.
We’ll work closely with specialists to understand the full scope and impact of your wreck. The more we know about your injuries and how they affect your day-to-day living, the better prepared we’ll be to secure the compensation you deserve.
Do I Need A St. Petersburg Car Accident Attorney?
Many people believe they can bear with their car accident claims on their own. Sometimes, this may be true. However, hiring a St. Petersburg injury lawyer is generally best to help level the playing field and push back against insurance schemes that help to undervalue claims.
Car accident lawyers are familiar with personal injury and insurance restrictions and are, therefore, in the best position to advise you during the claims process. You will generally get more compensation with an experienced attorney by your side, even considering attorney’s fees.
Contact a lawyer today for a free consultation to see what we can do for you.
Uninsured And Underinsured Vehicle Owner Accidents
Florida is a no-fault insurance state. When a Florida driver is in a car accident, they must first file a claim with their own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance provider, regardless of who was responsible for the crash.
However, in certain situations, you could place a claim against the at-fault driver if your damages exceed your policy limits. Unfortunately, a fifth of all Florida drivers are uninsured, and many of these people cannot afford to pay a personal injury lawsuit.
That is where uninsured or underinsured coverage comes in. This is optional in Florida and covers you if you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured (or underinsured) driver. While your premium may be more expensive by opting for this coverage, it can provide vital compensation if you are involved in a crash with a driver with no insurance, that you otherwise wouldn’t regain.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Car Accident?
There are four elements of negligence:
- The defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care – all drivers owe it to those sharing the road to follow traffic rules and drive safely
- The defendant breached that duty by engaging in careless conduct
- The defendant’s breach directly caused the accident
- The plaintiff suffered damages as a result
We’ll gather evidence, including police reports, medical records, photos of the accident site, videos, eyewitness statements, and expert testimony, to prove your claim for damages. Contact us to get started. The sooner we get to work, the more equipped we’ll be to collect the needed evidence.
What Do I Need to Know About Filing a Personal Injury Claim or Lawsuit in Florida?
After a car accident in St. Petersburg, you will first submit a claim with your Personal Injury Protection insurance company. The minimum required limit for coverage is $10,000. This may not cover the full extent of your damages, like medical bills or lost wages.
If the other driver was to blame and has optional bodily injury liability (BIL) coverage, you may be entitled to file a claim with their BIL insurance company. If they don’t have this, you may be qualified to file a lawsuit against them.
As you can see, there may be many avenues for compensation after a collision in Florida. Contact us to talk about your case today. We’ll examine all of your legal options to ensure that you get the full amount you are entitled to.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Do I Need to Know About Car Accident Laws in Florida?
Many regulations may affect your car accident claim; for example:
- Florida’s statute of limitations typically gives you two years from your accident date to file a lawsuit (as of March 24, 2023 — prior to that date, the law typically gave you four years to act). If you miss the deadline that applies to your case, you forfeit your right to hold the at-fault driver accountable.
- Florida is a no-fault insurance state, meaning you must present a claim with your PIP insurance provider, regardless of who caused the collision.
- Under Florida’s modified comparative negligence rule, you can share 50% or less of the responsibility for the accident and still get compensation. However, your award will be reduced to reflect that.
Other laws may affect your claim. Call us now so that we can evaluate your case and preserve your legal right to compensation.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Fortunately, most lawyers work on a contingency fee basis – meaning if they do not secure a favorable car accident settlement or verdict in your favor, you owe them nothing.
This arrangement means that you can afford to get an attorney to represent you after your collision. If we win your case, we’ll take an agreed-upon percentage of your awarded indemnification. You won’t owe any fees upfront, so there’s no obligation.
Contact our lawyers today for a free, no-pressure consultation, and we’ll go over our contingency fee agreement and answer your questions.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Car Accident in Florida?
You’ll generally have two years from the date of your motor vehicle accident to file an injury lawsuit in the Sunshine State.
Florida historically gave accident victims up to four years to file a personal injury lawsuit. However, the law was changed on March 24, 2023. Therefore, people who suffer injuries after that date will be subject to the two-year deadline.
If a wreck is fatal, surviving family members will have two years from the victim’s date of death to seek damages through a wrongful death action.
There are times when the time frame might be different. This could be the case if the city of St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, or the State of Florida share liability. Or, the statutes can differ in cases where a victim is a minor.
Depending on the circumstances, you could have more or less time to act. You don’t want the opportunity to recover compensation to disappear because you waited too long to take action. So, it’s important to seek the guidance of a car accident attorney in St. Petersburg as soon as you can after you get hurt in a wreck.
We Serve Throughout Pinellas County
We’ve helped people throughout Pinellas County and the Tampa area after car crashes, including:
- St. Petersburg
- Palm Harbor
- East Lake
- Pinellas Park
- Tarpon Springs
- Safety Harbor
- Indian Rocks Beach
- Madeira Beach
- Feather Sound
Reach out to arrange a free case evaluation if you’ve suffered injuries in an accident in Pinellas County, Florida.
Schedule a Free Consultation with a Trusted St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer
Whether you are filing a car accident claim with your own insurance provider or seeking damages in a third-party lawsuit, do not try to endure the situation on your own. Call Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys and let us be your biggest advocate.
Our St Petersburg car accident lawyers have won millions by standing up to tough adversaries and fighting tirelessly on behalf of clients like you.
Let us work on your case. Focus on getting better. Call our office in St. Pete to get started by arranging a free case evaluation.
St. Petersburg Auto Accident Review
Read more of our client reviews here.
Local Car Repair Shops
- Victory Automotive Service – 3001 Dr M.L.K. Jr St N, St. Petersburg, FL 33704
- JB Import Automotive Repair – 387 16th St N St, St. Petersburg, FL 33705
- R&D Auto Service – 2763 Central Ave, St. Petersburg, FL 33713
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our site.
Additional Car Accident Resources and Information
- Car Accident Compensation Ordinances in Florida
- NSC Safe Driving Toolkit
- Florida Insurance Requirements
- Road Safety Resources – NHTSA
- Florida Traffic Crash Reports
Recent Blog Posts
- Can You Sue for a St. Petersburg Car Accident if You Are Not Hurt?
- Should You Call the Cops for a Fender Bender in St. Petersburg?
- What Are the Odds of Dying in a Car Crash in St. Petersburg, FL?
St. Petersburg Auto Accident Infographic
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Child Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL