If you’ve been in a slip and fall accident, you may have the right to seek compensation. Our St. Petersburg slip and fall lawyers can help you hold them accountable and maximize your financial award. Your first consultation is free, so call Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers at (727) 933-0015 to schedule yours today.
We put more than 25 years of collective experience behind every case we take on. Our attorneys are among the most respected young rising attorneys in the nation, having won millions in life-changing damages for clients like you.
Now that you’ve been injured in a fall accident in St. Pete, you can benefit from our knowledge, results, and resources. The property owner (or other negligent parties) could be on the hook for the costs of your medical care, loss of income, and suffering. Contact our law office to learn more about your legal options and how we can help.
How Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Slip and Fall Accident in St. Petersburg
Slip and fall accidents shouldn’t happen. When they do – and they occur because property owners are negligent – injured parties deserve to be compensated. However, owners and their insurance companies will work tirelessly to deny claims or limit payouts.
The best way to set yourself up for a successful case (and maximum recovery) is by hiring a personal injury lawyer in St. Petersburg.
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, we’re award-winning litigators with 25+ years of combined experience handling tough premises liability cases like yours. We understand how important your case is and the impact a meaningful settlement or verdict will have on your life for time to come.
You focus on recovering from your slip and fall injuries while our firm:
- Launches a full-scale investigation into your slip, trip, and fall accident before important evidence can be lost or forgotten
- Determines what dangerous condition caused you to fall, how the accident could have been avoided, and who’s at fault
- Consults with leading slip and fall experts as we build and value your case
- Seeks compensation from all liable parties – such as employers, proprietors, businesses, and other negligent third parties
- Defends you against “blame the victim” tactics that could hurt your chances of a full financial recovery
Our attorneys will work hard to negotiate the best possible terms in a settlement. However, we’ll also prepare as if your case is going to end up in court. And if you’re not offered a fair deal, we’ll be ready to push forward and argue your case before a Pinellas County jury.
Give us a call or connect with us online to learn more. Your first consultation is 100 percent free. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means there’s no cost to hire us unless we win your case.
Do I Have a Slip & Fall Case?
You may have a slip and fall case if you fell on another party’s property. It might be a business but could also be private. Both types of owners are required to keep their properties reasonably safe.
If the business or landlord failed to fix or warn you of a dangerous condition that provoked you to slip, they may be accountable for your injuries under Florida laws. The best way to determine if you have a slip and fall case is by consulting a St. Petersburg slip and fall lawyer.
How Common Are Slip and Fall Accidents?
Every year, roughly 8 million Americans pay a visit to the emergency room because of a fall. Slip and fall accidents, in particular, are responsible for 12 percent of these hospital visits.
That means there are typically:
- 1 million slip and fall accidents every year
- 2,739 slip and fall accidents a day
- 114 slip and fall accidents an hour, or
- Nearly two slip and fall accidents every minute.
Slips and falls are, unfortunately, mostly preventable. Sometimes they happen because we’re not paying attention to our surroundings. Other times, slip and fall accidents occur when there’s a hazardous or dangerous condition you were unaware of.
When these avoidable accidents occur on someone else’s property – public or private – the owner may be financially accountable for the consequences.
Understanding Liability For Slip and Fall Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL
First, it’s important to know that slip and fall accidents fall under Florida premises liability law. According to this, owners (or individuals responsible for the maintenance and operation of property) have certain obligations to guests and visitors.
Most often, slip and fall accident cases involve invitees. You’re considered an invitee when you enter premises (a) open to the public or (b) for a purpose that benefits the business owner.
In these situations, he or she is obligated to keep the property in a reasonably safe condition, protect you from dangers that you should be aware of, and warn you about concealed hazards.
In other words, the owners have to inspect the grounds regularly, fix hazards when they’re discovered, or at least warn you of dangerous situations. So, conditions that lead to slips and falls shouldn’t exist, or you should at least be aware that there are hazards around you.
When a landlord fails to take the necessary steps to prevent slips and falls, they can be responsible when they emerge.
Potentially liable parties could include:
- Property managers
It’s important to identify all liable parties in a slip and fall case. This can help to ensure that you walk away with full compensation for your injuries.
Transitory Substances in St. Petersburg Businesses
There is one exception to the general rule. When a “foreign transitory substance” causes a slip and fall in a business, the owner is only liable if they had “actual or constructive knowledge of the dangerous condition” and failed to take necessary steps to fix it right away.
The transitory substance rule can apply if you slip and fall on a puddle, spilled liquid, or another wet surface in a Florida business.
We Handle All Slip and Fall Accident Cases in St. Petersburg, Florida
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, we represent clients who have been hurt in slip and fall accidents at:
- Restaurants, bars, and nightclubs
- Retail stores
- Big box stores like Home Depot, Costco, or Target
- Shopping malls
- Nursing homes
- Daycare centers
- Parks and playgrounds
- Parking lots
- Parking garages
- Government buildings
- Gyms and athletic centers
Don’t hesitate to contact our office in St. Pete if you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident. We can help you understand your dues, identify potential legal remedies, and figure out the best steps toward a full financial recovery.
What Causes Most Slip and Fall Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL?
Some common causes of slip, trip, and fall accidents include:
- Slippery floors
- Broken steps or stairs
- Broken or missing handrails
- Broken or damaged floorboards
- Unsecured carpets or rugs
- Loose electrical wires
- Build-up of debris or garbage
- Poor lighting
- Uneven floors or surfaces
After a slip and fall, take a moment to report the accident and document the scene. These steps will be critical if you intend to file a claim and seek damages for your injuries.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall
There are a couple of things you should do after a slip and fall to protect your health and your claim.
- Notify the proprietor. If you’ve misstepped and fallen, you (or someone else on your behalf) should notify the lessor of your injuries.
- Document the scene. You should gather evidence of your slip and fall wound. You should take pictures and videos of the object or substance that caused you to fall. You should also take pictures of your injuries. If you fall at a business, the staff may fill out an accident report.
- Exchange information. You should exchange insurance and contact information with the proprietor. You will likely need this information for your claim. You should also obtain the contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Seek medical attention. You should seek immediate medical care after your slip and fall. If you need emergency medical treatment, call 911 and ask for an ambulance. Alternatively, you can visit your own medical provider. Seeking prompt medical treatment will allow medical staff to diagnose and treat your injuries. It will also give you proof for your claim.
The final thing you should do after a slip and fall is to phone a skilled St. Petersburg slip & fall attorney. Your lawyer can help you navigate your claim and maximize your compensation.
What Damages Are Available to Slip and Fall Injury Victims in St. Petersburg?
When you slip and fall on someone else’s property in Pinellas County, you should be entitled to compensation for your financial losses (economic damages) and pain and suffering (non-economic damages).
Our slip and fall attorneys in St. Petersburg will work hard to get you money for your:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages and benefits
- Chronic physical pain
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Nursing care
If a slip and fall accident is fatal, damages for a victim’s wrongful death can also be awarded to surviving family members.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation For All of Your Slip and Fall Injuries
In a slip and fall accident, your foot (or feet) moves forward quickly because of a hazard. You begin to lose balance, and your upper half begins to fall backward. Injuries to the back of the head, neck, shoulders, and back are incredibly common.
In a trip and fall, the opposite occurs. Your foot gets stuck on an object or hazard, while momentum carries your upper body forward. Injuries to the face, hands, arms, and chest happen most often.
Whether you’ve been hurt in any of these accidents, Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers will help you seek damages for all of your injuries:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Accidental or surgical amputation
- Trauma to the eyes or face
- Soft tissue injuries
- Nerve damage
- Internal bleeding
- Chest injuries
- Joint injuries
- Crushing injuries
Seek medical treatment immediately after a slip and fall accident in St. Petersburg, Florida. Once you’ve gotten treatment, speak with an attorney about your legal options.
Do I Have to Prove the Property Owner Was Negligent If I Slipped and Fell?
Yes. You will have to prove the property owner failed to satisfy their duty under Florida premises liability laws.
If you stumbled and fell at a business, you will have to show that they failed to fix or warn you of the dangerous condition that led to your collapse. You might have to prove they knew or should have known of the condition or failed to inspect the premises routinely.
If it happened at another person’s home, you will have to prove they failed to warn you of the hazard that caused you to slip. A skilled lawyer can help you prove negligence in your claim.
Can I Still Get Compensation If I’m Being Blamed for a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida?
You can still retrieve compensation if you’re being blamed for your slip and fall accident. Florida follows pure comparative fault rules. These rules require judges and juries to divide fault between all parties involved in an accident, including the victim.
If you share fault for your slip and fall, your compensation will be reduced to account for your percentage of blame. For example, suppose you have $90,000 in damages after your fall but are determined to be 10% at fault for not paying attention while you were walking. In this case, you could only get $81,000 (90%) of your damages.
Not all allegations of comparative fault are true. If the insurance company is blaming you for your fall, reach out to a slip and fall attorney for help.
What’s the Statute of Limitations For Slip and Fall Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL?
Four years for accidents resulting in injuries or two for accidents resulting in wrongful death. If you miss the deadline that applies to your personal injury case, then you’ll give up the right to recover much-needed compensation.
Call Our St. Petersburg Slip and Fall Lawyers For a Free Case Evaluation
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, we’re ready to stand up to property owners, businesses, and insurance companies on your behalf. Don’t hesitate to contact our St. Petersburg slip and fall lawyers to find out how we can help you fight for all of the money you need and deserve.
We’ll put 25+ years of knowledge and a team that’s won millions behind your case.
Your first consultation is free and there’s no risk to ask for our help. Reach out to our office to schedule yours today.
St. Petersburg Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Review
Read more of our client reviews here.
LOCAL EMERGENCY ROOMS
- St. Anthony’s Hospital- Emergency Center – 1200 7th Ave N, St. Petersburg, FL 33705
- Bayfront Health St Petersburg Emergency Room – 701 6th St S, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
- Emergency Center at Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital – 550 6th St S, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
- HCA Florida St. Petersburg Hospital Emergency Room – 6500 38th Ave N First Floor, St. Petersburg, FL 33710
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Child Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL