Were you injured in a traffic accident while walking in St. Petersburg, FL? You may be entitled to significant compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. An experienced St. Petersburg pedestrian accident lawyer at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys can make a world of difference in your fight to recover fair compensation.
Since we opened our doors back in 2018, we’ve been working hard to secure fair compensation for injured clients across the Tampa Bay area. That hard work has paid off. We’ve recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for accident victims like you in cases such as St. Petersburg bus accidents, St. Petersburg taxi accidents, bicycle accidents, catastrophic injuries, brain injuries, and more.
How Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys Can Help After a Pedestrian Accident in St. Petersburg
Pedestrians often suffer serious or catastrophic injuries if they’re hit by a car. Getting fair compensation for those injuries can be one of the most important things you ever do.
On the other hand, the insurance company won’t make it easy. They might even blame you for causing your own injuries. It’s important to create an attorney-client relationship with an experienced St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer who can protect you.
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, we have over 25 years of combined experience. We’ve been rated among the Top 40 under 40 Personal Injury Lawyers and America’s Top Attorneys. We’ve also helped countless clients get back on their feet after an accident.
Hiring us means gaining an advocate to:
- Launch a detailed investigation into the accident
- Locate all responsible parties and sources of insurance coverage
- Work with leading experts and specialists who can help prove your case
- Fairly calculate your case value
- File a claim with the insurance company
- Handle all negotiations on your behalf
Our St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys won’t hesitate to take your case to trial if the insurance company doesn’t offer a fair deal. To learn more about how we’ll fight for you, call today for a free initial consultation.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in St. Petersburg?
Pedestrian accidents are on the rise across the United States. Unfortunately, Florida is one of five states that account for 47% of all pedestrian deaths, according to a report prepared by the Governors Highway Safety Association.
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) reported 9,549 pedestrian accidents across the state in 2021, resulting in 844 pedestrian deaths.
Pinellas County is even more dangerous for pedestrians than most places in Florida. Pedestrian fatalities in Pinellas County nearly doubled in 2021. A total of 85 pedestrian fatalities were reported in 2021 – up from 49 deaths in 2020.
Despite improvements in safety measures suggested by Smart Growth America, pedestrians are always at a high risk of severe injuries in an accident. If you or a loved one were hit by a car, you may be entitled to compensation. Call our St. Petersburg pedestrian accident attorneys for a free case review today.
What is My St. Petersburg Pedestrian Accident Case Worth?
Many different factors can impact the value of your personal injury claim. Often, your case value will depend largely on the severity of your injuries.
Despite that, it’s important to evaluate every factor that can influence your case value to make sure you’re getting fair compensation.
Relevant factors that could impact your case value include:
- The cost and nature of your medical treatment
- Whether you’re expected to suffer a permanent disability
- How the injury impacts your work, education, and quality of life
- The pain and trauma you’ve endured because of the accident and injuries
- Whether you share any blame or contributed to the cause of the accident
- The strength of your negligence case
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, we have the resources and knowledge to calculate your case value. We’ll often bring in experts who can offer insight into the more complex aspects of your claim. That way, you can rest assured that you’re getting the maximum compensation you deserve.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Pedestrian Accident Victims?
Damages in personal injury cases are categorized according to whether they compensate the victim for economic losses or non-economic losses.
To recover the money you deserve, you’ll have to identify all of the damages that you’ve sustained because of the accident.
What Are Economic Damages?
Economic damages are your financial expenses.
You may deserve compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and income while you recover
- Diminished future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Medications and medical devices
- Property damage
Your economic damages award should be sufficient to make you “whole” again from a financial perspective.
What Are Non-Economic Damages?
A serious injury can cause much more damage than your receipts and records show. Your personal, subjective losses are called “non-economic damages.”
These damages might include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Permanent disfigurement or scarring
- Loss of consortium
In rare cases, courts might award punitive damages. Rather than compensate for any specific loss, punitive damages punish the defendant for intentional wrongdoing or gross negligence.
Can I Recover Damages if I’m Being Blamed for a Pedestrian Accident in Florida?
Insurance companies often blame pedestrians for causing accidents. The driver who hit you might claim that you were distracted while crossing the street or darted into the road unexpectedly. These claims aren’t always legitimate.
However, even if you do share partial responsibility, you may still be entitled to compensation. Under the modified comparative fault laws in Florida, fault is allocated between all parties to an accident. Each party is assigned a percentage of fault. If your allocated fault is 50% or less, your compensation will be reduced by the assigned percentage. If your fault exceeds 50%, you’ll be unable to recover compensation.
Our lawyers in St. Petersburg know how the insurance company works. We can help you minimize any allegations that you were responsible for your own injuries. That way, you can take home the maximum compensation possible.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Our lawyers know how devastating pedestrian accident injuries can be. Unlike victims in a typical car accident, you don’t have a metal frame or seatbelt to protect you in a crash.
We often represent clients who have suffered:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Multiple broken bones
- Crushing injuries
- Facial injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Burns and road rash
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
While the insurance company might try to downplay the extent of your injuries, our lawyers are on your side. You can count on us to fight for every dollar you deserve.
What Causes Most Pedestrian Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Many different factors can cause a pedestrian accident, including:
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians at an intersection
- Speeding and aggressive driving
- Driving too close to the shoulder or sidewalk
- Dangerous turns
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Failing to check behind the vehicle when backing up
- Drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs
- Negligently designed intersections
- Malfunctioning traffic signals
Pedestrians can also contribute to the cause of an accident by:
- Failing to check for vehicles before crossing a busy street
- Crossing outside of marked crosswalks
- Crossing on a “don’t walk” signal
- Running suddenly into the road
To recover fair compensation, it’s important to identify all factors that played a role in the crash – remembering that multiple parties may share responsibility.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Pedestrian Accident in Florida?
Negligence is the most common legal basis for a pedestrian accident claim. To recover compensation, you’ll have to prove that the at-fault party’s actions caused your injuries.
To break it down, you’ll have to prove the following elements:
- The at-fault party owed you a legal duty of care
- They breached the duty of care
- The breach caused your accident
- You sustained damages, or injuries, in the crash
It can be tough to prove negligence when you’re recovering from a serious injury. Our lawyers can help. We’ll visit the accident scene, locate any video surveillance footage, interview witnesses, and more. Just give us a call for a free case evaluation today.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Pedestrian Accident in Florida?
Under Florida personal injury laws, the statute of limitations is two years for accidents resulting in injuries and fatalities. That means you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit (and two years from the date of death to file a wrongful death claim).
Historically, personal injury claims based on negligence had a four-year window to file. However, Florida law shortened the time frame, effective March 24, 2023. Thus, if your St. Petersburg pedestrian accident occurred after that time, you have two years to bring a lawsuit.
However, there can be exceptions to these deadlines. Fail to take action, and you’ll forfeit your right to compensation. Call us today to get started.
Contact a St. Petersburg Pedestrian Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Do you have questions about your legal options after a pedestrian accident? Call an experienced St. Petersburg pedestrian accident lawyer at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys for a free consultation today.
Visit Our Personal Injury Office in St. Petersburg, FL
We are available 24/7 to take your call; contact us today.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Child Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL