Did you or a family member suffer injuries in a car accident involving a taxi in St. Petersburg, FL? You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more.
An experienced St. Petersburg taxi accident lawyer at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys can help you fight to hold the at-fault party responsible for your damages.
Our lawyers have over 25 years of experience fighting to protect injured clients like you. We’ve already recovered millions on behalf of accident victims, and we’re prepared to go to work for you in cases like St. Petersburg truck accidents, St. Petersburg motorcycle accidents, Uber accidents, Lyft accidents, pedestrian accidents, and more.
We offer free case reviews so you can get the legal advice you need without cost. Contact our law offices in St. Petersburg, Florida, by calling (727) 933-0015 to schedule your free consultation today.
Why Should I Hire Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys to Handle My St. Petersburg Taxi Accident Case?
While St. Petersburg Uber and Lyft rideshare services are extremely popular, many people still choose taxis to get around the Tampa Bay area.
Unfortunately, when taxis are involved in motor vehicle accidents, it can be more difficult for victims to recover compensation.
Multiple parties may be financially responsible. Commercial insurance carriers work hard to avoid taking responsibility. An experienced St. Petersburg personal injury attorney can help.
When you choose our team at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, you’ll benefit from over two years of experience. Our team has been listed among the Top 40 under 40 in Personal Injury Law and as America’s Top Attorneys for 2020.
When we handle your taxi accident claim, we can:
- Investigate and gather evidence to prove your case
- Find out who is ultimately responsible for paying your damages
- Identify all sources of liability insurance
- Defend against claims that you share responsibility for the crash
- Work closely with experts who can strengthen your case
- Engage in insurance negotiations to secure a fair settlement deal
- Fight to protect you in court if necessary
To learn more about how working with an experienced St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer can help, call our team for a free consultation today.
How Much Compensation Will I Take Home If My St. Petersburg Taxi Accident Claim Is Successful?
For an accurate estimate of your case value, it’s important to consult a lawyer. All personal injury cases are unique. We can’t offer an accurate assessment until we understand the facts.
When we’re assessing your case value, we’ll consider all of the variables, including:
- Whether your injuries were severe or permanent
- The type and nature of the injuries you have suffered
- How the injury impacted your earnings
- Whether your future earnings will be diminished due to a permanent disability
- Your emotional suffering and physical pain
- The cost of repairing your damaged vehicle and other property damage
Other factors can also be important. The insurance company might blame you for contributing to the accident. They may also claim that your injuries were preexisting or that you failed to take steps to mitigate damages.
Hiring an experienced St. Petersburg taxi accident attorney is the best way to make sure you’re getting the full compensation you deserve. Call Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys to learn more about the value of your personal injury claim today.
What Kinds of Damages Can Be Awarded if I Was Hurt in a Taxi Accident in St. Petersburg, FL?
The compensation you recover in a personal injury case can make a big difference in your future. It’s important to make sure you identify all of your losses before accepting an insurance deal.
There are two types of compensatory damages in Florida: economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages represent your financial expenses, such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses
Non-economic damages represent losses without a clear monetary value, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages are much rarer. Florida courts may award punitive damages only in cases involving intentional wrongdoing or particularly shocking acts.
How Does Shared Fault Impact Taxi Accident Claims in Florida?
Taxi accidents can happen under a variety of circumstances. Unless you were a taxi passenger, the insurance company will probably try to blame you for the accident. Under Florida’s new modified comparative negligence law, you could lose your right to seek compensation.
If you were 51% or more to blame for your accident, you cannot recover compensation under Florida law. But so long as you were 50% or less at fault, you can still receive damages. However, your damages award can be reduced according to your percentage of the blame. Note that these principles only apply to claims against the at-fault party, not against your own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage.
An experienced St. Petersburg personal injury attorney can protect your interests and help ensure you aren’t assigned more fault than is fair.
Taxi Wrecks in St. Petersburg Can Leave a Victims Struggling With Severe and Life-Altering Injuries
A taxi accident can be devastating. It’s possible that the injuries you suffer may impact your life even after you have recovered to the extent possible.
At Lopez Law Accident Injury Attorneys, we often represent taxi accident victims who have sustained:
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Whiplash injuries
- Ankle and wrist injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Chest injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Burn injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
If you were recently injured, contact our accident lawyers in St. Petersburg today. We’ll work hard to help you recover full compensation for your injuries.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Taxi Crashes in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Taxis are strictly regulated. However, that doesn’t mean that taxi accidents don’t happen. Many times, this is because drivers are careless.
Taxi drivers spend a lot of time behind the wheel. It’s not entirely surprising that they can easily become distracted or overly fatigued. Distraction and exhaustion, in turn, can easily make accidents more likely.
Some of the most common causes of taxi accidents in St. Petersburg include:
- Aggressive driving and road rage
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Violating traffic laws
- Passing too closely
- Stopping in unsafe locations to let passengers out
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Fatigued driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Road hazards
- Failure to maintain the taxi in a safe condition
Cab drivers aren’t always fully responsible for taxicab accidents. That makes it important to identify every factor that played a role in your crash. Under Florida law, you can pursue compensation from everyone who was even partly responsible for the accident.
How Do I Know Whether I’m Entitled to Compensation After a Taxi Accident in Florida?
Negligence is the root cause of most taxi accidents in Florida.
To recover compensation, you must be able to prove:
- The at-fault party owed you a legal duty of care
- They breached the duty of care
- The breach of duty caused the accident
- You sustained damages, whether in the form of physical pain, financial costs, or emotional damage
Taxis are common carriers. That means they’re held to a higher standard of care than ordinary drivers on the roads. Still, cab accident cases have their own set of complications.
Multiple parties can share responsibility for a taxi accident. Even if a negligent taxi cab driver was responsible, someone else may be responsible for paying your damages.
Examples of potentially at-fault parties include:
- Taxi companies
- Maintenance companies or mechanics
- Negligent third-party drivers, pedestrians, or bicyclists
- Passengers who create unreasonable distractions
- Government agencies
- Manufacturers of defective cab safety equipment
- Property owners
- Employers of negligent parties
It can be tough to recover fair compensation from a negligent taxi driver. If someone else shares the blame, you can also pursue compensation from that party.
Our lawyers will search for proof to establish negligence. We’ll also search for evidence to establish who is ultimately liable for your damages. This approach gives our clients the best chance of recovering every dollar they deserve.
How Much Time Do I Have To File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Taxi Accident in Florida?
The deadline for filing a lawsuit in Florida is called the statute of limitations. If you miss the deadline, you lose your right to sue for damages. That’s true regardless of the severity of your injuries.
If you were injured before March 24, 2023, you have four years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you were injured on March 24, 2023, or after, you have only two years to take legal action.
Due to the recent changes, we highly recommend speaking with an experienced attorney quickly if you were injured in an accident.
Schedule a Free Case Review With an Experienced St. Petersburg Taxi Accident Lawyer Today
Our legal team at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys is here to help in any way we can. If you were injured in an accident, contact our law firm to schedule a free case review today.
An experienced St. Petersburg taxi accident lawyer is always available to discuss your case. We also work on a contingency fee basis, so you won’t have to worry about paying any up-front attorney’s fees.
Visit Our Personal Injury Office in St. Petersburg, FL
We are available 24/7 to take your call; contact us today.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Brain Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Child Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Recreational Vehicle Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL