Have you or a loved one been hurt in a bicycle accident in St. Petersburg, Florida? You may have the right to recover money for your medical costs, loss of income, and suffering. Our experienced St. Petersburg bicycle accident lawyers can help you fight to maximize your financial award, so call us today at (727) 933-0015.
Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers will put more than 25 years of combined legal experience behind your fight for maximum compensation. Our award-winning attorneys will stop at nothing to help you get every cent you deserve.
Contact our law office in St. Petersburg, FL to learn more about how our top-rated legal team can help. We offer a free case evaluation and are ready to take your call now.
How Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Bicycle Accident in St. Petersburg, FL
When a bicyclist is involved in a car accident, the consequences can be catastrophic. And while you may be entitled to damages if you got hurt due to someone else’s negligence, getting the money you need can be challenging. To make matters worse, those who are responsible for the collision might even try to blame you.
You’ll have to stand up and fight aggressively to win your bicycle accident case. But that’s not something you should have to take on while you’re trying to recover from your injuries.
That’s where our respected personal injury lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL can help.
While you focus on getting better, Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers will:
- Handle your personal injury claim from start to finish
- Conduct a thorough investigation into the bike accident
- Determine why it happened and who’s at fault
- Consult with leading bicycle accident specialists as we build and assess the value of your case
- Defend you if the insurance company or other parties attempt to blame you for getting hurt
- Negotiate with other parties to get you the best possible terms in a settlement agreement
- Prepare your case as if it’s going to go to trial in case the insurance company refuses to give you a fair deal
We’re here to help make things as easy as possible after your bicycle accident. Your first case evaluation is 100 percent free, and there’s no obligation. Plus, we work on a contingency fee basis, which means there’s no cost unless we win your case.
Give our St. Petersburg bicycle accident attorneys a call or reach out to us online to learn more about your legal rights and options today.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
St. Petersburg is one of the most beautiful places to ride a bike in the nation. It’s also one of the most dangerous.
Bicycle accidents have always been problematic in Pinellas County, and they’ve only gotten worse in recent years.
In 2019, there were 513 auto accidents involving bicyclists in St. Petersburg and across Pinellas County. By 2020, the number of bicycle-involved collisions increased to 518.
In 2021, there were at least 545 bicycle crashes reported in St. Petersburg and surrounding cities. That year, bicycle accidents accounted for nearly 11 percent of all motor vehicle accident fatalities.
As a result of those 545 collisions,
- 17 people were killed, and
- 503 bicyclists were injured.
2022 is also on track to see a significant number of bike accidents. Through the first four months of the year, there have already been 156 bicycle crashes, including three fatal bicycle accidents and 151 collisions resulting in an injury.
What’s My Personal Injury Case Worth After a Bicycle Crash in St. Petersburg?
It depends. Every victim is different, and so are the circumstances surrounding each collision.
There are, however, certain factors that will influence the valuation of your case:
- What types of injuries did you suffer?
- Did your bike accident aggravate any pre-existing injuries or medical conditions?
- Will you be able to make a full physical recovery?
- What are your out-of-pocket costs?
- What kind of long-term impact will the bicycle accident and resulting injuries have on your life?
- How much pain and suffering have you endured?
Generally, cases involving more catastrophic bicycle injuries or wrongful death are worth the most. But that’s not to say that cases involving more moderate injuries aren’t valuable. In fact, we know that every penny counts when you’re putting your life back together after a bike accident.
Contact our personal injury attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL to find out how we can help you maximize your financial recovery. We’ll be your fiercest advocate and work tirelessly to secure an award that reflects the full value of your bicycle accident case.
What Damages Are Available to Bicycle Crash Victims in St. Petersburg?
After a bicycle accident in St. Petersburg, you should be entitled to recover money for your financial losses (economic damages) and pain and suffering (non-economic damages).
This can include compensation for:
- Medical expenses, such as hospitalization, surgery, and medication
- The cost of medical equipment or devices
- Property damage
- Lost wages and benefits
- Reduced earning capacity
- Chronic pain
- Mental anguish and suffering
- PTSD and depression
- Loss of consortium
If there’s clear and convincing proof that the defendant acted intentionally or recklessly disregarded your safety, then punitive damages might also be available.
We’ll Help You Seek Full Compensation For All of Your Bicycle Accident Injuries
Wearing a helmet when you ride a bike can significantly reduce the chances of dying or sustaining a traumatic brain injury if you’re in a crash.
However, riders are still vulnerable to other potentially life-altering or deadly injuries, such as:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries resulting in paralysis or limited mobility
- Degloving injuries
- Eye and face injuries
- Joint injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Nerve damage
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
Always seek medical care as soon as you can after getting into a bicycle collision in St. Petersburg, FL. Prompt medical treatment will keep you safe and limit the chances of complications. It will also help establish a link between the crash and your resulting trauma. This can make it easier to win your case and maximize your financial recovery.
Can I Still Get Money if I’m Blamed For a Bicycle Collision in Florida?
As long as you’re not 100 percent at fault, then yes.
Florida has a pure comparative negligence system in place. You can share some – or even most – of the blame for a bike accident and still recover compensation.
However, your settlement or jury award will be adjusted to reflect your role. Damages are reduced in direct proportion to your degree of fault.
If you’re assigned 60 percent of the blame, your damages will be reduced by that amount. That could mean getting $40,000 for a case valued at $100,000.
Insurance companies and at-fault parties will want to take advantage of this rule. So, they’ll probably try to blame you for the bike accident by saying that you weren’t paying attention or veered out of your dedicated bike lane.
When you’re represented by Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, our bicycle accident lawyers in St. Petersburg will be prepared for these tactics. We’ll stand up and fight back, working to minimize the amount of blame you’re assigned (if any).
What Causes Most Bicycle Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Most bicycle crashes in St. Petersburg happen because someone is negligent. In other words, someone is careless and fails to use reasonable caution while sharing the road with a cyclist.
Some common examples of things that cause bicycle crashes in St. Petersburg include:
- Failure to maintain lane
- Failure to yield the right of way to bicyclists, especially at an intersection
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Failure to leave an adequate cushion between cars and bicycles
- Limited visibility
- Road construction
- Road defects
- Inadequate or non-existent bike lanes or dedicated bicycle infrastructure
In some situations, bicycle accidents happen because a vehicle or component of a bike is defective or malfunctions. Other times, inclement weather can make road surfaces slick and increase the odds of a crash, even when everyone is using caution.
How Long Do I Have to Seek Compensation After a Florida Bicycle Accident?
Under Florida law, the statute of limitations is four years. For cases involving wrongful death, lawsuits must be filed within two years to be valid.
Don’t miss the deadline that applies to your bicycle accident case. If you do, you’ll forfeit the opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Trusted St. Petersburg Bicycle Accident Lawyer
You’ve got enough to worry about after a bike accident without the added stress of an insurance claim or lawsuit.
Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers can help.
Let our St. Petersburg bicycle accident lawyers take care of your fight for compensation. We have 25+ years of combined experience and have won millions for injury victims and families in Florida.
Contact our St. Petersburg personal injury law firm to learn more. Your initial case evaluation is free, so call now.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Child Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL