If you were involved in a car accident and the other driver fled the scene, you may be wondering, “Do I need a lawyer after a hit-and-run accident in St. Petersburg, FL?” The answer is probably, “Yes.”
You may be entitled to compensation for the damages you suffered, like medical expenses, lost wages, pain, and anguish, but it can be difficult to obtain this compensation without the help of an experienced St. Petersburg hit-and-run accident lawyer. Also, you may be dealing with painful injuries and are understandably focused on your recovery.
The St. Petersburg, Florida car accident lawyers from Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys can help you through this difficult time. Contact us for a free, no-obligation case to learn how we can help with your claim at (727) 933-0015.
How A St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
At Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys, we have earned a reputation as fierce advocates for our clients. We use our extensive experience and skills to help maximize their compensation after an accident. We’ve recovered millions to date.
When you hire our St. Petersburg car accident lawyers to help with your hit-and-run accident claim, you can count on us to:
- Cooperate with law enforcement’s investigation into the crash
- Investigate the crash and gather evidence to help identify the runaway driver
- Identify all potential sources of compensation
- Explain your legal rights and options
- File claims with the insurance company
- Document your damages
- Update you every step of the way
- Fight for you to obtain the maximum compensation you deserve
Let us put our more than 25 years of combined legal experience to work for you. Contact us today for help with your hit-and-run claim. We work on contingency, which means you won’t pay attorney fees unless we recover compensation for you first.
Duty To Report An Accident
In Florida, drivers are required to stop at any accident and exchange information with the others involved for any accident resulting in injury, death, or property damage of $500 or more.
They must exchange the following information:
- Their name
- Their address
- Their registration information
- Their driver’s license information (if asked)
Drivers involved in an accident are required to “by the quickest means of communication give notice of the crash to the local police department” or sheriff’s office, depending on where the crash occurred. They must also render reasonable assistance to the injured.
What Is A Hit And Run?
A person commits the crime of hit and run when they get in a crash with another vehicle and willfully leave the scene without providing the required information.
Drivers often flee the scene of the accident because they have committed some illegal activity, such as:
- Driving drunk or drugged
- Driving without insurance
- Fleeing the scene of a crime
- Driving without a valid driver’s license
The charge of hit and run is based on the act of leaving the accident scene. The driver may face other related charges, such as driving under the influence, if relevant.
Penalties For Hit And Run
The potential penalties for hit and run depend on the consequences of the crash, as follows:
- Leaving the scene of an accident involving property damage – Up to 60 days in jail, six months of probation, and a fine up to $500
- Leaving the scene of an accident involving injury – Up to five years in prison, five years of probation, and a fine up to $5,000
- Leaving the scene of an accident involving serious bodily injury – A prison sentence of up to 15 years, 15 years of probation, and a fine up to $10,000
- Leaving the scene of an accident involving death – A prison sentence of a minimum of four years, up to 30 years, 30 years of probation, and a fine up to $10,000
Other penalties may apply if the driver committed other crimes, such as drinking and driving.
Who Pays for Your Hit and Run Damages?
Hit-and-run accidents can be particularly harmful to victims because they may not get the immediate help they need. With the other driver fleeing, there may be no one there to help render assistance. Also, accident victims can be left vulnerable to secondary accidents if other drivers do not see them.
For these reasons, hit-and-run accident victims may suffer various damages, including:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses
- Permanent disabilities and impairments
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity
- Property damage
- Reduced quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Fortunately, drivers may be able to recover compensation after a hit-and-run accident. You may have a few options for recovering damages, including:
- Filing a claim with your own insurance carrier under your PIP coverage (all Florida drivers must carry at least $10,000 in no-fault coverage)
- Filing an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance carrier
- Filing a claim with the other driver’s liability insurance if the driver is identified
- Filing a civil lawsuit against the other driver if their identity is determined
An experienced personal injury lawyer can explain your legal options during a free case review. Contact Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys to schedule a free consultation.
Contact an Experienced St. Petersburg Hit and Run Lawyer for Help
So, now that you know the answer to the question, “Do I need a lawyer after a hit-and-run accident in St. Petersburg?” we encourage you to reach out to the legal team at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys for help.
We want to help you during this difficult time and let you focus on your health and recovery. Call us today for a free case review with a St. Petersburg hit-and-run accident lawyer.