Hit-and-run accidents can be frustrating for victims in St. Petersburg, FL. They do not have anyone to sue when they sustain serious injuries and damages. However, recovering compensation is still possible in this type of accident scenario, especially with the assistance of an experienced car accident attorney.
Our St. Petersburg hit-and-run accident lawyers at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys handle all types of car accident claims. Our lawyers have more than 25 years of combined legal experience in St. Petersburg bus accidents, St. Petersburg taxi accident, Lyft accidents, catastrophic injuries, brain injuries and more. They have been listed as America’s Top Attorneys and Top 40 Under 40 by prominent legal organizations.
How Our St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyers Help You With a Hit-and-Run Accident Claim
You can trust that you receive the attention and dedication your case deserves when you hire Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys. Our St. Petersburg car accident attorneys have a 10.0 Avvo Rating and received the Client’s Choice Award from Avvo in 2019. Since opening our law firm, we have recovered millions of dollars for our clients in jury verdicts and personal injury settlements.
When you hire our award-winning legal team, you can expect us to:
- Conduct an independent investigation to determine how your hit-and-run happened
- Gather evidence proving you did not cause the crash
- Document damages to calculate how much your damages are worth
- Work with expert witnesses to gather additional evidence to strengthen your case
- Verify insurance coverage and file claims
- Monitor hit-and-run investigations by law enforcement agencies
- Pursue all potential causes of action and claims to maximize the amount you receive for your case
Hit-and-run accident claims are challenging cases. However, our legal team at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys has the skills and resources to meet the challenge. Contact our law office to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our experienced accident lawyers in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Why Do Drivers Fail To Stop After Car Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL?
Hit-and-run accidents are common in Florida. In 2021, over 109,600 hit-and-run crashes were reported throughout the state. Just under 4,000 hit-and-run crashes occurred in Pinellas County.
Failing to stop at an accident scene is against the law in Florida. Even so, thousands of drivers flee the accident scene each year. Common reasons for hit-and-run accidents include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Failure to have a valid driver’s license
- Driving without a license or while under suspension
- The driver had outstanding arrest warrants
- Immigration status
- The person did not have the required car insurance coverage
- Afraid of the consequences of a car accident
- The person had stolen or illegal items in the car
- Someone was fleeing the police
- The driver was on probation or parole
Whatever the reason might be for fleeing an accident scene, the consequences can be severe. The driver could be changed with a second-degree misdemeanor. If the hit-and-run accident caused injuries or death, the charge could increase to a felony offense.
What Damages Can You Receive for a Hit-and-Run Accident in St. Petersburg?
If you sustain a serious injury in a hit-and-run accident that allows you to file a claim against the at-fault driver, you could receive compensation for your non-economic and economic damages. Damages in a hit-and-run accident case could include:
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and benefits
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Permanent disabilities and impairments
- A decrease in quality of life
- The cost of nursing and/or personal care
- Diminished earning capacity
- Medical bills and cost of rehabilitation
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Even though you did not cause the accident, you have the burden of proving fault for an insurance claim. You must have evidence proving that the hit-and-run driver caused the crash. The insurance provider might fight the claim, even if you are dealing with your own insurance company.
Filing an Insurance Claim for a St. Petersburg Hit-and-Run Accident
Florida requires drivers to have no-fault insurance or Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. Therefore, you can file a claim against your PIP insurance for lost wages and medical bills after a hit-and-run accident in St. Petersburg.
However, you could also have a claim against the hit-and-run driver. If the driver is identified, you might be able to sue the driver. You might also be able to file an uninsured motorist claim if you have UM coverage with your car insurance policy.
Uninsured motorist coverage compensates you if an uninsured driver causes a car accident. It also applies in hit-and-run cases. However, you must have sufficient evidence to prove the other driver was uninsured and caused the crash to recover compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our St. Petersburg Auto Accident Lawyers
It can be difficult to know what to do after a hit-and-run driver hits you. Call our office to schedule your free consultation with our St. Petersburg hit-and-run accident lawyers to discuss the next step in filing a claim.
Car Accident Cases We Cover
- Highway accidents
- Head-on crashes
- Intersection crashes
- Multi-vehicle accidents
- Road defects
- Rollover accidents
- Single-Vehicle Accidents