Were you or a loved one injured in an accident involving a rideshare company in St. Petersburg, FL? You may be entitled to compensation. These cases can be complex.
An experienced St. Petersburg Uber accident lawyer at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys can help you recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more. Contact us online or call us at (727) 933-0015.
We’ve already recovered millions of dollars for accident victims since we opened our doors in 2018. We’re ready to use our skills and experience to your advantage in cases like St. Petersburg taxi accidents, St.Petersburg Lyft accidents, truck accidents, bus accidents, and more.
Uber accidents are more complicated than typical car accident cases. Call our law offices in St. Petersburg, Florida to schedule a free consultation to get the legal advice you deserve today.
How Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys Can Help After an Uber Accident in St. Petersburg
Uber and other rideshare services are supposed to help you reach your destination safely. Unfortunately, some rides do end in an accident. When an Uber is involved in your accident, your insurance claim can quickly become more complicated.
Uber insurance is designed to protect victims. On the other hand, when a larger commercial policy is at stake, insurers tend to fight even harder to pay less than you deserve. Our experienced St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys are here to protect you.
When you hire Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys after a crash, you’ll have a team who will:
- Investigate the circumstances of your accident
- Identify all available insurance coverage
- Gather evidence to prove your case
- Stand up to the insurance company if they blame you for the accident
- Negotiate to recover the maximum compensation possible
The experience of your lawyer can be key to recovering fair compensation. We have over 25 years of combined experience fighting for clients like you. To learn more about how our trusted St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers can help, call for a free consultation today.
How Common Are Uber Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL?
It can be tough to know how common Uber accidents really are. After all, Uber and Lyft drivers use their own personal vehicles like any other motorist.
However, a recent study examined National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data to find out just how common Uber and Lyft accidents are. The research shows that fatal motor vehicle accidents have increased by between two and three percent since ridesharing services were introduced in the U.S.
What is My St. Petersburg Uber Accident Case Worth?
It’s important to know how much your personal injury case is worth before making an insurance claim.
The value of your case will often depend on:
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost of your medical care and other expenses
- The value of your lost wages
- The duration of your recovery
- How the injury will impact your future lifestyle and career prospects
In reality, the amount of insurance coverage available often impacts the value of any car accident claim. Uber accident cases are subject to unique insurance rules.
When Uber and Lyft were first introduced, an at-fault rideshare driver’s insurance company often denied coverage to accident victims. That’s because a driver’s personal insurance company can deny claims if the vehicle is used for commercial purposes. On the other hand, Uber and Lyft could deny responsibility because drivers are classified as independent contractors.
The Driver is Waiting for a Ride Request
When the driver’s Uber app is open and the driver is available to accept a ride request, the following insurance coverage is available:
- $50,000 for death and bodily injury per person
- $100,000 for death and bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 for property damage per accident
These coverage limits are higher than most personal auto insurance limits – but they only provide secondary coverage if the cost of your injuries exceeds what your personal insurance covers.
The Driver Has Accepted a Passenger Request
From the moment the driver accepts a passenger request, a $1 million commercial insurance policy is available. That coverage is available until the Uber passenger exits and the driver ends the ride in the Uber App.
While the passenger is in the vehicle, $1 million in underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage is also available.
The Uber App is Off
If the Uber app is turned off, the driver’s personal car insurance policy applies – and the case is treated like any other motor vehicle accident.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Uber Accident Victims?
You’ll have to prove that you suffered damages to recover compensation. Under Florida personal injury laws, victims can recover compensation for all of their losses – both economic and non-economic.
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress, anxiety, and depression
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
Our St. Petersburg Uber accident attorneys can help you evaluate and document the damages you’ve sustained. Call our law firm for a free case review today to learn more about how an experienced lawyer can help.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for an Uber Accident in Florida?
Unless you were a passenger in the Uber, the insurance company will likely try to blame you for contributing to the accident.
Florida’s modified comparative fault laws allocate financial liability between all parties to an accident. If you’re found 50% or less liable, you won’t lose your right to sue for damages entirely. Instead, your compensation can be reduced by the percentage of fault allocated to you.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Uber Accident Injuries
Uber and Lyft accidents can leave victims struggling with painful injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Nerve injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Seat belt injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Degloving injuries
- Amputation injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
You can count on our lawyers to fight for the fair compensation you deserve for any injury you sustained – no matter how big or small.
What Causes Most Uber Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Uber provides a valuable service – but Uber drivers aren’t professionally trained. Many of the same factors that can cause a typical car accident also cause Uber crashes.
Some of the most common causes of Uber accidents include:
- Distracted driving, including drivers who are distracted by GPS or looking for a passenger
- Stopping in unsafe locations to pick up or drop off passengers
- Speeding to maximize the number of Uber rides in a day
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Aggressive driving
- Dangerous turns
- Running red lights or ignoring stop signs
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Failing to maintain the Uber vehicle
- Defective Uber vehicles
You might not know what caused the accident – especially if you were a passenger. Our lawyers can help you determine the cause and identify the responsible parties. Just call for your free case evaluation today.
How Do I Prove Negligence After an Uber Accident in Florida?
As the accident victim, you’ll still have to prove negligence to recover compensation after an Uber accident. Negligence is a legal concept that holds people liable for failing to exercise reasonable caution under the circumstances.
In legal terms, negligence means:
- Someone owed you a duty of care
- They breached that duty
- The breach caused an accident
- You sustained injuries, or damages
Accident cases aren’t always cut and dry. The at-fault party might not admit fault – and police reports aren’t always conclusive. To prove your case, you’ll need evidence.
Our lawyers know how to locate evidence that can help you build the strongest case possible.
Our team will search for:
- Video surveillance footage from traffic cameras, businesses, and dash cams
- Hard evidence from the accident scene
- Cell phone records
- Evidence from the Uber driver’s app
- Opinions from accident reconstruction specialists
You may be entitled to compensation anytime you’re hurt because someone else was careless. Still, you’ll have to prove your case to seek compensation from the at-fault party.
Fortunately, you don’t have to handle your personal injury claim alone. Call Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys to learn more about how an attorney-client relationship can increase your chances of winning fair compensation.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After an Uber Accident in Florida?
Under Florida law, Uber accident victims will typically have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. The two-year statute of limitations starts to run on the day of your accident. Once two years are up, you lose your right to pursue damages.
Historically, negligence victims in Florida had four years to pursue legal action. However, the law was updated on March 24, 2023, resulting in less time to act. Accordingly, if your St. Petersburg Uber accident occurred after that date, you’ve got two years to file your lawsuit.
Contact a St. Petersburg Uber Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Things can be overwhelming in the aftermath of a rideshare accident. Our lawyers at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys will do everything we can to help. To learn more about our legal team and experience, call for a free consultation with a St. Petersburg Uber accident lawyer today.
Visit Our Personal Injury Office in St. Petersburg, FL
We are available 24/7 to take your call; contact us today.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Child Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL