Are you struggling with injuries because you were recently hit while riding an electric scooter in St. Petersburg, Florida? Contact Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys. You may have the right to file an insurance claim or lawsuit to recover compensation for your medical bills and other damages. Our St. Petersburg electric scooter accident lawyers are ready to help you maximize your financial award.
Since 2018, Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys has offered premiere legal representation to catastrophically injured motorists and devastated families in St. Petersburg. Our award-winning trial attorneys have 25+ years of combined experience and have successfully obtained millions on behalf of deserving clients like you in cases such as St. Petersburg bus accidents, St. Petersburg taxi accidents, catastrophic injuries, brain injuries, and more.
An electric scooter crash can change your life in the blink of an eye. Let us help you pick up the pieces, demand accountability, and get you the money you deserve. We offer a free consultation, so contact our St. Petersburg, FL law office at (727) 933-0015 to schedule yours today.
How Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys Can Help After an Electric Scooter Accident in St. Petersburg, FL
Whether you’re hit by a car while riding an electric scooter, suffer injuries due to a scooter defect, or are hurt because of unsafe road conditions, you might have a legitimate claim for damages on your hands. However, now is the time for you to focus on your physical recovery and emotional well-being – not navigate the challenges of a personal injury lawsuit.
That’s where our St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers come in.
We’ll take on the negligent motorist, electric scooter company, insurance provider, and anyone else who attempts to stand between you and the compensation you deserve.
When our nationally-recognized litigators take on your case, we will:
- Investigate your e-scooter accident to determine causation, fault, and liability
- Consult accident experts and injury specialists as we prepare and value your claim
- Defend you if you’re blamed for your electric scooter crash
- Gather evidence that can be used to support your personal injury case
- Negotiate with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf
We want to get you the full value of your e-scooter accident case as quickly as possible. So we’ll push for a settlement that makes things right. However, if you aren’t offered a fair deal, our experienced Florida trial attorneys will be ready to bring your case to a jury in Pinellas County.
We’re tough negotiators, but we really thrive in the courtroom. In fact, our tough reputation can help you get a better result during negotiations because insurers want to avoid a fight in front of a jury.
Are Electric Scooters Legal in St. Petersburg?
Yes, electric scooters are legal to use in St. Petersburg, Florida. Companies like Bird, Lime, Veo, and Razor offer rentals, or you’re permitted to use your own. However, e-scooters are subject to St. Petersburg traffic laws.
Specifically, you must keep these rules in mind when operating an electric scooter in St. Petersburg, FL:
- Scooters cannot be operated on sidewalks
- Scooters must be operated on streets with speed limits of 30 MPH or less
- Scooters cannot be ridden on waterfront trails
- E-scooter operators must yield to pedestrians
- Scooter operators must wear a helmet
- Scooters cannot transport more than one person at a time
- Scooters must be parked in designated corrals
It’s important to keep an eye on local traffic laws and regulations if you regularly use an e-scooter in St. Petersburg. Violating local laws can have a serious impact on your ability to recover compensation if you’re injured in a traffic accident.
Are Electric Scooter Accidents Common?
Statistics show that scooter accidents are actually more common than car accidents. There are roughly 2.2 scooter accidents for every 10,000 miles driven. The accident rate for car accidents is 0.1 per 10,000 miles.
And even though e-scooter operators in St. Petersburg are legally required to wear a helmet, surveys indicate that less than 5 percent of scooter riders nationwide actually take this important precaution.
As a result, avoidable head and brain injuries are quite common consequences of scooter accidents. In 2020, emergency departments across the country saw roughly 25,400 electric scooter accident injuries. About half of those injuries could be classified as serious.
What Causes Electric Scooter Accidents?
Scooter accidents are, for the most part, entirely avoidable tragedies. If everyone – scooter operators, motorists, pedestrians, rental companies – exercised reasonable care, scooter accidents really shouldn’t happen.
Accidents occur when someone makes a mistake, is careless, or is negligent in some way.
Some leading causes of e-scooter accidents in St. Petersburg include:
- Losing control of the scooter
- Striking a pothole or road hazard
- Drug and alcohol use
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Electric scooter malfunction
- Electric scooter defect
- Negligent scooter maintenance or repair
- Failing to stop at red lights or stop signs
- Unsafe or illegal turns
- Failing to signal turns or maneuvers
It’s important to identify every potential cause of your scooter accident. Determining the cause will shed light on who’s responsible for your resulting injuries.
Who’s Liable for a St. Petersburg Electric Scooter Accident?
Liability for a car accident involving an e-scooter can extend to anyone who was directly or indirectly involved in the crash.
This can include:
- Negligent electric scooter operator
- Negligent motorist
- Bus driver
- Train operator
- Government transit agency
- Government agency responsible for road design, maintenance, and repair
- Electric scooter rental company
- Electric scooter manufacturer
- Employer of a responsible party
Our electric scooter accident lawyers in St. Petersburg will carefully identify liable parties and work to ensure that anyone who contributed to your wreck is held accountable.
Keep in mind that sharing responsibility for a scooter accident can affect your personal injury case. Under the state’s modified comparative fault rule, damages will be reduced (or disallowed) based on your share of the blame. It’s important to seek the guidance of an attorney if another party attempts to blame you for a crash.
What Compensation Can I Get When I File an Electric Scooter Injury Claim?
If you’ve sustained injuries in an accident involving an e-scooter in St. Petersburg, you’ll generally have the right to file a claim for compensatory damages.
Economic damages make up for the monetary losses associated with a scooter accident, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost job benefits
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Nursing assistance
Non-economic damages are awarded to compensate for trauma and life changes that are associated with a scooter accident, including:
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
Our St. Petersburg e-scooter accident attorneys will bring in experts to help us more fully understand the extent of your trauma and suffering. With their help, we’ll be prepared to leverage a meaningful financial award that accurately reflects what your scooter accident case is worth.
Common Electric Scooter Accident Injuries
A helmet is really all that stands between an e-scooter operator and catastrophic or fatal injuries in a motor vehicle accident.
Commonly reported electric scooter accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Dental injury
- Injuries to the eyes or face
- Hearing loss
- Broken bones and fractures
- Injuries to the extremities, including fingers and hands
- Crushing injury
- Nerve damage
- Sprains and strains
- Back and neck injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Wrongful death
Following an accident on an electric scooter in St. Petersburg, get to the closest hospital for medical treatment. Once your condition has stabilized, don’t hesitate to reach out to Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys to learn about your legal options.
How Long Do I Have to Bring a Claim After a Florida Electric Scooter Accident?
In Florida, a two-year statute of limitations will typically apply to cases involving e-scooter accidents. This deadline used to be four years, but it was cut in half by law on March 24, 2023. Therefore, if your St. Petersburg e-scooter accident happened after that date, you should file a personal injury lawsuit within two years.
If there is a fatal electric scooter accident in St. Petersburg, families will have two years from their loved one’s date of death to initiate a wrongful death claim.
Do not allow the deadline to come and go without taking action. Once the statute of limitations expires, you forfeit the ability to file a civil lawsuit and recover compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Respected St. Petersburg Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer
Did you recently get hurt in an electric scooter accident in St. Petersburg, Florida? Do not let those responsible for your devastating accident off the hook without consequence.
Contact Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys and discover how our St. Petersburg electric scooter accident attorneys can help you successfully recover damages for your injuries and suffering.
Benefit from a team with 25+ years of combined experience that’s won millions in challenging cases like yours.
Visit Our Personal Injury Office in St. Petersburg, FL
We are available 24/7 to take your call; contact us today.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bus Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL