Sean Lopez | March 23, 2023 | Slip & Fall Accidents
Falls Down Stairs Can Result in Serious Injuries and Substantial Compensation for Victims
If you were hurt after falling down stairs at work, at a business, or while visiting someone else’s property, another party may be responsible for the harm you’ve suffered. Negligence leads to many slip-and-fall accidents.
For example, if a business does not have stair rails up to code, leaves aisles cluttered, or does not clean up spills, visitors are more likely to fall. In such situations, victims may be able to obtain compensation from the party responsible for their injuries.
How Common Are Falls From Stairs?
The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that falls are the second leading cause of unintentional fatalities worldwide. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), three million people in the United States are treated in emergency rooms every year. Falls down stairs can be particularly dangerous. One study found that a significant percentage of individuals died after falling down stairs.
Common Injuries From Falling Down Stairs
Some of the most common injuries sustained from falling down stairs include:
- Head injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Hip fractures
- Soft tissue injuries, including sprains and strains
Falls down stairs can be particularly dangerous because you may strike multiple surfaces as you fall and sustain multiple injuries. It is important to seek medical attention after a fall to ensure your injuries are promptly diagnosed and you can begin receiving medical treatment.
Common Causes Of Falls
Falls are often the result of a lack of maintenance or negligence, such as:
- Lack of stair rails
- Stair rails or steps that do not meet legal standards
- Missing or damaged steps
- Poor lighting near staircases
- Cluttered areas near stairs
- Spills or slick floors
Property owners are responsible for maintaining a safe environment. If they fail to uphold their legal responsibilities, they can be held legally liable for the damages the victim suffers.
What To Do After a Stair Injury
Stair falls can be extremely dangerous. Here are some steps you can take to protect your health and legal claim following a fall down stairs:
- Seek medical attention – Injuries from falls down stairs can be fatal, so it is critical to get immediate medical attention. Go to the emergency room immediately. A doctor can evaluate you and diagnose your injuries. Your medical records will be an important part of your claim.
- Keep original documentation – Your personal injury claim may involve a lot of documentation. You may have an accident report that recounts how the fall occurred. You may also begin receiving a lot of medical documentation, including doctor’s notes, imaging test results, and medical bills.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer – A personal injury lawyer can take care of your legal claim while you focus on your recovery. Your lawyer can investigate your case and gather evidence to help establish your right to financial compensation. Your lawyer can handle communications with the insurance company and help negotiate compensation on your behalf.
- Don’t discuss the details of your case – While loved ones may be worried about your health, keep information about your claim private. Do not disclose details online.
If you need advice on what to do after your stair injury, reach out to a qualified personal injury lawyer.
A Slip and Fall Attorney Can Help You Recover Compensation
You may be able to recover compensation (economic and non-economic damages) for the current and future expenses you incur because of your injuries, including:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental distress
If you fell down the stairs because of someone else’s negligence, you may have a right to recover compensation for the injuries you’ve suffered. Contact an experienced slip-and-fall attorney to discuss your legal options for holding the at-fault party accountable.
Contact Our Slip and Fall Accident Law Firm – Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys
Contact a St. Petersburg slip and fall accident lawyer at Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys and schedule a free case review today.
Lopez Law Group Accident Injury Attorneys
700 7th Ave N Suite B
St. Petersburg, FL 33701